Deciphering help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciphering help please.

Could anyone help me to read what the marked text says please.

MR-WGT-DEWS.jpg

Possibly Hornung for the name.
    Possibly Wuppertall for the second place?

Not very good at Prussian names!
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

There is a possible Christopher HOLLING on the 1881 - age a little bit out, wife is Sophia but she is younger than him instead of older, both are born Germany but he is a labourer. And they are in Yorkshire.
      RG11; Piece: 4441; Folio: 68; Page: 9

In 1901 there is a Christopher HORNING in Staffordshire whose family matches the 1881 family - and he is a butcher. Oh, and your Mary is still with them too.

So his surname is something like Holling or Horning. If you look up the birth registrations for his children maybe you will get a better idea of what their surname was! Sorry but I must go shopping now. This is the ref for 1901:
      RG13; Piece: 2600; Folio: 126; Page: 20
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oops, sorry, didn't see you wanted the birthplaces too - they were off the edge of my screen!
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Phoenix
          Thanks for trying. I'm no good with funny names either.

Hi KiteRunner
          That looks promising, thank you. I shall pop off and have a look.

Comment

Freebmd shows births of Fred and Henry Hornung in Bradford rd and death of Fred.

There is also the death of a Sophia Hornung aged 64 in 1912.
            Phoenix - with charred feathers
            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

That's great! Thank you very much Phoenix :D

Comment

Christopher's BP looks like Kemzelaan.
                I can't make out Sophia's...sorry.

Comment

Hi Lyn

It could be. Trouble is I have a hard time finding these strange names. Off to do a bit of googling now to see what turns up.

Thank you.

Comment

Hi John,

You could try looking for the German place names here: Directory of Cities and Towns in World

I've been looking but haven't found anything that looks quite right yet, although there are lots of similar looking place names, such as:
                    Kenzendorf
                    Konstanzer
                    Konzenberg
                    Konzendorf
                    Rinzenberg
                    Sarah

Comment

Hi Sarah

Thanks for all those, I will add them to my growing list of possibilities - LOL ! :D

With part of my research heading more and more into Germany I will have to try and find myself a nice German friend. ;):D

Comment

I thought the surname looked like HORNUNG

And I thought the second place name looked like KUPFERSELL (not so sure about the ending) - Kupfer = Copper, so it would be within range of copper-bearing land, I'd have thought.

Now I'll go back and have another look.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's a place called Kupferzell to the East of Heilbronn.

The other place-name looks as if it begins KORN...

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

HI

I found this on the Wuttemberg Germany Emmigration Index

Christoph Hornung

born 20 Jan 1849

Birth Place Kuenzelsau

District: Kuenzelsau

Application Date Dec 1867

Destination England

Number 835762

Not sure if it's him though
                            WendyP

Comment

Kuenzelsau is just to the North of Kupferzell...

Chrisitne

Comment

And if you look on the National Archives global search (JavaScript Support Check

Piece details HO 144/133/A34817

Record Summary
                                Scope and content
                                Nationality and Naturalisation: Hornung, Christopher, from Germany. Resident in Dewsbury. Certificate A4131 issued 23 June 1884.
                                Covering dates 1884
                                Availability Open Document, Open Description, Normal Closure before FOI Act: 30 years
                                Former reference (Department) A34817
                                Held by
                                The National Archives, Kew
                                Christine

Comment

Hi Christine & Wendy

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I've been away for a few days.

Thank you ever so much for the very interesting information I shall go and investigate some more now.

Comment

Working...
                                  X