1891 Census address help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1891 Census address help please.

How can I find out who lived at 22 Westgate (or just Westgate will suffice), Dewsbury during the 1891 census?

I'm struggling a little as there doesn't seem to be an option to enter a street/address, unless I've done something wrong!

If you mean on ancestry, John, then, no, there isn't an address search available. If you start on the 1891 England census page, then choose the county, then the town, and then look at the description of each enumeration district then you should find which enumeration district includes that street -then it is just a matter of going through all the pages of that enumeration district till you find it.

Findmypast has an address search available for 1891 - not sure if all counties are included, but worth a try.

Or use the address search on ancestry for the 1881, note down the names of a few families living there and then search for each of those families in 1891 until you find one who is still living in that street.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Update - yes, the address search for 1891 on findmypast does include Westgate, Dewsbury. Civil parish Liversedge, town Millbridge - does that sound right?
      KiteRunner

Comment

Ther is no 22 the houses are numbered 48-60
        Rita

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/.../User:Nappycat

Comment

Hi KiteRunner

Sorry, yes I mean on Ancestry.

I've tried that but I can't find the descriptions of the enumeration districts. I basically get a list of numbers (1 to 26 + the Workhouse). I have to click on each number to get an image but there doesn't seem to be any indication of what roads the image contains beforehand. I guess I will have to go through them all one by one.

Comment

Unfortunately, I haven't subscribed to FindMyPast. I was thinking about it. Do you think it's better than Ancestry?

Comment

Found Ethelbert Robinson living at Westgate in 1881 and think he's still there in 1891 but Ancestry froze my comp............don't know if this will help you find the area.
              Heather

Comment

Hi Rita, That's very strange, no 22 (or even 1 - 47). Maybe like a lot of my ancestors it's fallen into a big black hole. :D

Comment

Hi Heather, thank you. I'm actually ok on the 1881. It just appears that I will have to trudge through the 1891 images one image at a time until I find what I want (if it's still there that is!).

Comment

Hi John
                    To find the descriptions of the ED's

Go to the 1891 England census and scroll down the page until you get to
                    "Please choose a county"

Click on Yorkshire

The next page has the civil Parishes ... click on Dewsbury

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by John-Nihon View Post
                      Hi KiteRunner

Sorry, yes I mean on Ancestry.

I've tried that but I can't find the descriptions of the enumeration districts. I basically get a list of numbers (1 to 26 + the Workhouse). I have to click on each number to get an image but there doesn't seem to be any indication of what roads the image contains beforehand. I guess I will have to go through them all one by one.
                      You can buy pay-as-you-go credits on findmypast for just a few pounds, by the way. As for ancestry, click on 1891 England, click on Yorkshire, click on Dewsbury, then it does indeed list 26 enumeration districts plus the workhouse. Each enumeration district has a link to click on which is "View description of enumeration district", and if you click on that link (on the right of the screen) then you should get the list of streets etc included on one page. Occasionally you might come across one that doesn't have the description.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Hi Rachel

That's what I was doing but each time it was just giving me a list of numbers (1-26 and the Workhouse) with an image icon next to each number.

However after repeating the same process for about the 8th/9th time it has now come up correctly. All very strange! I blame Ancestry, it can't be me! :D

Comment

I'm looking at EDs around ED 6 .... can't figure out if this one in ED 7 is Westgate or Northgate ?

- Ancestry.co.uk
                          ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Thanks KiteRunner, I've managed to get to the descriptions now. :D

I will consider the pay-as-you-go option on FindMyPast in future if it's easy to use and I can't find what I want on ancestry. :D

Comment

There's a bit more of Westgate on ED 8 .... grrrrrr :D
                              The numbers are going the wrong way again ... this time they're even numbers .... I keep finding odd nos !

Comment

Thanks Rachel, I've just gone through all the houses on ED6, haven't found what I want yet. Starting on the ED7 houses now!

Comment

At last! ED7 Page 7 found her (Mary Reinhardt). :D

Thank you all ever so much for your help. :D:D

Comment

Working...
                                  X