Guess what I've found?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess what I've found?

553 ancesters in and I've found my first Ag Lab relation - living in a pub! I feel normal now!

I started doing my father's mother's side of the family. In one of his photo albums there is a beautiful photo of him aged 4 months (1904) sitting on his mother's knee with his grandmother and great grandmother standing by the chair. Very thoughtfully the ladies are named including gt grandmother's maiden name - which is where my father got his name from - Iliffe.

In my innocence I thought that Iliffe would be fairly straightforward name to research - I wasn't counting on the fact that they had taken lessons from rabbits and only had a small repotaire of christain names - John, Joseph, Thomas and Robert being to the fore! Girls are Mary, Ann, Sarah, and Hannah and all live in Leicestershire :( - although my 2xg gdm was Johanna - they were obviously hoping for a boy!

Given the size of the families - 3xg gdf had 7 other brothers - there are potentially hundreds of 'blood' cousins out in the big wide world that I know absolutely nothing about but will hopefully enjoy finding - assuming that I can untangle the different generations with the same name!
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

I'm afraid Iliffe's a pretty common name in Leicestershire Which village were they from?

Comment

So I've found out Mary :D My lot hail from Humberstone which when I looked on a map appears to have been swallowed up by Leicester itself now.
      Bo

Comment

Yes, it's practically in the town centre these days.

I have the Welford Road burial disc (1849-1950) if you need any look-ups doing.

Comment

Ah
          but like rabbits once you have one they breed you will soon find that you have hubdreds if not thousands

:D
          LOL

Laura
          it is something to do with the water in Leicestershire I am sure

Comment

Originally posted by Bo the Bodger View Post
            553 ancesters in and I've found my first Ag Lab relation - living in a pub! I feel normal now!
            Does that mean you really only have ONE Ag Lab

I feel chuffed when I find someone who isn't!

I did have ancestors who ran a pub though and my Gt Grandfather was an Ostler in a pub but an ag lab before that anyway
            Alison

Researching:
            CAVE, CUCKOW/COSHOW, DAKIN, GILBERT, GINN, HUXLEY, LEATT, LETTEN, PATTERSON, PERRY, PORTER, SOMMERVILLE, WEEDON, WHITING
            http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=1025
            http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=2650

Comment

Allie - I truely only have one Ag Lab :D- but no doubt when I delve abit more into this side of the family I will find many more of them!

My Ma is so funny on occasions as her father's side of the family are all "gentlemen", Land Owner, Living on Own Means, Governor of the Isle of Man, JP, Baron of the Court of the Exchequor, MP, Vicars, and Officers in the Army - and she comes out with things like "your father's family were trade" folowed by a mock shudder! - my father was an Air Commodore in the RAF - not bad coming from trade!

I hasten to add that with regards to my mother's father's side of the family I come from a branch that wouldn't even be allowed to hold the ladder - and actually it would probably have been hidden so we couldn't find it!
              Bo

Comment

Working...
              X