Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you make out the brides name?

[IMG]//[/IMG]
    Can anyone make out the brides name. It has been transcribed as Orderoe but I think it must be something else as I've never come across that name before.

Fairly certain surname is Scott. First name looks like Racus? (Rachel?)
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Nell

Sorry forgot to put Richard Scott and Alice ?????, the last name I'm not sure about.

Comment

Mordroe?????
        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Looks like Mordroe, I agree. Monroe? Or it could be a surname that's died out. What's the date?

Comment

That last name is a real puzzle....It looks like Drdrue.....Sorry, I can't make anything more out of it!

Comment

The marriage took place in 1564. It is on the IGI.

Comment

(pssst...Nell...it's the bride's name we are looking at not the groom....)

Well, not Orderoe, definitely!

Begins with a D or a P...is the document horizontally folded at this point?

Last three letters of the surname are either

rue

or

nie

OC

Comment

Lozaras

It's Aliciam, latin for Alice. (well, latin for "to Alice").

Don't think the name starts with M...compare it with the M or Marwood, top left.

OC
                  Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 06-02-08, 20:48.

Comment

There's baptisms on IGI for Alice Ordroe 1551 Stepney St. Dunstan
                    and also for Alicie (Aliciam) 1536 Glemsford, Suffolk.

Is Aliciam the Latinised version of Alice?

Comment

Sorry OC our posts crossed.

Comment

Alice(iam) is the only Ordroe entry on IGI which makes me think its a mistranscription.

Comment

Could it be Dordroe?

Comment

I thought it was Ordroe before reading the thread. Can see why someone would read it as Orderoe, because of the back sweep of the d, but all the "d"s are like that.

Any entries for October in same document which would indicate what an O looked like in that handwriting?

Roger

Edit: Just spotted one on line below. Not the same although it has similarities.
                            Last edited by Roger in Sussex; 06-02-08, 22:05.

Comment

I think it is the dreaded "unextended latin", in other words the name has been abbreviated.

I am sure that part of the letter is missing below the line and am also sure that the second to last letter is NOT an "o", just looks like it because the tail of the letter in the line above is touching it.

All the other lower case "o"s are very carefully and correctly formed in a perfect circle.

OC

Comment

I never thought of the name being abbreviated. Its so infuriating, I've been puzzling over this for some years. Don't know if will ever get to the bottom of it.

Thank you all for trying.

I think maybe the Glemsford baptism is a bit way out as the parish registers didn't start there until the 1550s.

Comment

Yes, this would drive me mad, too.

Only thing I can suggest is to hunt through the same register, looking for that odd, almost heart-shaped letter.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

I am sure that part of the letter is missing below the line and am also sure that the second to last letter is NOT an "o", just looks like it because the tail of the letter in the line above is touching it.

All the other lower case "o"s are very carefully and correctly formed in a perfect circle.

OC
                                    If part of the first letter is missing below the line, could it be P with the back sweep cutting through the tail, which would make it the Latin abbreviation for per or pur or even par (as in parish, quite often)? In which case the name is getting near Purdue or (forgive me OC!) Pardoe or something similar..

Comment

Roger

I did wonder if it might be Andrue, although the A looks nothing like the others on the page.

Pardue/Pardoe is certainly a possibility, I agree.

OC

Comment

OC

I had the same thought about A, but there is no cross bar. Unless of course it is a big lower case a, which one does see sometimes. But then, why the sweep back?

Very puzzling. Hope Sue can find another example as you suggest and put us out of our misery!

Roger

Comment

Working...
                                        X