Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie BMD's Please?

Hi Folks,

I wonder if any of our Aussie friends might have access to their BMD's. I am looking for the death of my mother's cousin who emigrated to Australia. I have no idea when they emigrated, but do know they had a daughter born in 1950 in England, so I am assuming it must have been shortly after that.

I can't name names, for obvious reasons, as the husband and daughter are still alive I believe.

If some kind soul could PM me, I can then give them all the birth, marriage and name details of my mother's cousin.

Many thanks,

Chris

Do you know which part of Australia she went to? Some States have their BMD indexes online, but they won't have very recent deaths.

There's an index of obituaries here:

Ryerson Index

Mostly for NSW, starting in about the 1970s.

The passenger lists on www.findmypast.com now go up to 1960, so you may find her emigration details there.

Comment

Thank you very much for that, Mary. I had a little scoot through findmypast earlier, and as yet can find no record. I am only going on the info that my 85 year old Mum has given me, and she has no idea as to where in Australia this family went to. I do believe the rest of the family still reside there - i.e., the husband and daughter, but beyond that I know very little.

My thanks again, I shall keep trawling.........

Chris

Comment

If you want to PM me with the details, I'll have a look.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
          If you want to PM me with the details, I'll have a look.

Have PM'ed you, Mary.

Chris

Comment

Chris................I'll have a look if you like as well.

On my way to work now, but will check later.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
              Chris................I'll have a look if you like as well.

On my way to work now, but will check later.
              Many thanks Libby - the more pairs of peeled eyes, the better LOL!

Chris

Comment

Send a pm Chris. I'll have a look as soon as I get home.

Comment

Libby, I've found them on the passenger lists on the NAA site, but drawn a blank everywhere else (BMDs for QLD, Vic, WA and NSW, Ryerson Index and NSW State Archives). I hope you'll have some better ideas

I've suggested to Chrissie that she tries the "Ask a librarian" service for each State to see if they can find the husband and wife on electoral rolls after they immigrated in 1957. Unfortunately we don't know which State they lived in.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                    Libby, I've found them on the passenger lists on the NAA site, but drawn a blank everywhere else (BMDs for QLD, Vic, WA and NSW, Ryerson Index and NSW State Archives). I hope you'll have some better ideas

I've suggested to Chrissie that she tries the "Ask a librarian" service for each State to see if they can find the husband and wife on electoral rolls after they immigrated in 1957. Unfortunately we don't know which State they lived in.
                    It would appear that they disembarked at Canberra, but that's as far as I can see. Will PM Libby with details, if that's OK with you. Many thanks -

Chris

Comment

The record on the NAA site doesn't mean they disembarked at Canberra, just that the papers are held there.

This site shows the usual ports of call of the Strathaird:

SS Strathaird left Tilbury Dock UK September 3rd 1957 arrived Adelaide October 5th 1957

Comment

If there is any possibility they arrived in WA the Metropolitan Cemeteries Board has up to the minute burials on line at MCB Site
                        I cant think of any other data bases showing details after the 1950s.....other than the phone books, of course.

Beverley

Comment

How common is the surname? If is not common and the husband is still alive try the phone book.

whitepages.com.au - Search for an Australian Business, Government or Person

Are they catholic? Rookwood cemetery catholic burials are on line too.
                          Catholic Cemeteries Board

Also is they lived in outback australia she might be found here:
                          Australian Cemeteries Index

The second site also has photos of the gravestones.
                          Kit

Comment

The name's uncommon; I've already searched the MCB and the Catholic burials at Rookwood (Protestant ones aren't online as far as I know), and given Chrissie the link to the phone book.

The only listing with the right initial for the husband is in Dandenong, Victoria, but there's nothing with the right surname among the Dandenong burials on the Aus. cemeteries site, or FamilyHistoryOnline.
                            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 07-02-08, 08:11.

Comment

I can check for deaths in South Australia up to 1972.Can someone PM me with name etc.
                              Kerri

Comment

OK, will do.

Comment

Can someone enlighten me what the 'NAA' site is please. I am trying to trace how one of my relatives went to Australia. He is on the 1841 census, and he married in Australia in 1857. Would this site help me? I did find his passage last year, but I had computer trouble and lost it all and cannot remember how I found it!!!
                                  Rita

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/.../User:Nappycat

Comment

It's the National Archives of Australia:
                                    RecordSearch - National Archives of Australia

I don't think you'll find such early records there.

You may have found his passage among the Australian records on Ancestry or the passenger records on Findmypast, or on one of the State government sites, depending on whether he was a convict or a free settler. If you want to post some details, we can tell you which sites to look at.

Comment

Thank you Mary
                                      His name was Robert Saggers, he was born about 1832. On the 1841 census he was aged 6. There is no trace of him in 1851 so it is assumed he sailed before then. He married in Victoria in 1857 and died Longwood Victoria in 1918.
                                      Rita

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/.../User:Nappycat

Comment

I've had a quick look, and can't see him in any of the obvious places; he's not listed in the online passenger lists of ships to Victoria or Queensland.

There's an entry for him here:

Robert SAGGERS found in Names in Government Gazettes, Victoria c1858–1900 5 entries in Victoria between 1872 and 1875

FamilyHistoryOnline - searchable databases for family history & genealogy in England, Wales & Australia

It costs 25p to view the details.

Comment

Working...
                                        X