No announcement yet.

Can anyone date these bathers, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone date these bathers, please?

These young ladies are standing on the steps of a bathing machine. I would very much like to know an approximate date for the photograph. May I have your opinions, please? Also, a guess at their ages would be most helpful.

Roger

[ATTACH]9040[/ATTACH]
    Last edited by Pippa Doll; 12-11-08, 21:46.

Turn of the century, perhaps? Isn't it strange how you can be so familiar with an image but be unable to put a date to it?

Vintage Fashion Guild - In The Swim
    Heather

Comment

Thanks very much, Heather, interesting link.

Roger

Comment

Ooooo Heather what a nice website .... love the 1940s costume

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Also this one

Victorian Clothing: The History of the Bathing Suit
          Heather

Comment

Thanks again, Heather. Very interesting to read that the ladies had a rope attached to an off-shore buoy. I wonder if that is the mysterious object which appears to be attached to the tallest lady's left arm?

Comment

about 1920,s brenda xxxx

Comment

Thanks, Brenda, Roger

Comment

Hi you can see the young ladies are in late victorian or early edwardian costume, the eldest girl may well have had a big hat to go with her smart suit. Just a guess, but is the photo tin plate? This was most popular with beach photographers as it was quick. The photo was almost certainly taken up on the beach as otherwise the photographer was going to be getting his feet wet! The eldest girl looks to be the oldest and appears to be in her late teens, date the three of them in the 12 to 18 range?, great photo..

Comment

I wonder if they were holidaying or if they worked on the bathing machines??

Comment

Not sure if it helps - I think this picture of my grandparents and some friends would have been taken between 1913 when they got married and 1915 when their first child was born.

Comment

By the way, I don't think there's anything attached to the arm of the girl on the left in Roger's photo. The girl next to her is holding her arm, and may be holding something in her hand, but it might just be a mark on the photo.

Comment

Thank you Barbara and Mary,

If they are who I think they may be (how's that for caution?} then about 1908 would make the oldest about 19 and the one in the middle about 13. They would have been holidaying rather than working, I think, as they lived some way from the nearest holiday resort.

The costumes in Mary's photo look a bit more modern to me, so perhaps that narrows it down a bit? Or is that just wishful thinking?

I have attached photos of my possible candidates to be the eldest and the middle one. Do you think they might be the same people? The middle one had a younger sister, but I don't think it's her on the right of the big photo.

Roger

Comment

Here are just their faces for comparison

Roger

Comment

They do look very similar, especially the younger girl.

Comment

Blurry, but I think a definite resemblance

Comment

Thank you ladies, Perhaps I am barking up the right tree. Makes a change from being simply barking!:D

Roger

Comment

And a yes from me too ....

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Rachel

By the way, Barbara, you asked if the photo was tin plate. It is just an ordinary sepia print on postcard stock, very faded. Had to scan it and work on the scan with Paintshop Pro to bring out the detail of their faces.

Roger

Comment

Working...
                                      X