If you haven't been - Then go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you haven't been - Then go

As you will see from my other thread, I made my first visit to a Records Office yesterday and had a great time (minus the sickness!!)

If you haven't been to one yet, just go - they are great and full of the most friendly people I have ever met (excluding the stroppy guy who couldn't have what he wanted)

Although I didn't find everything I was looking for I had a good go and was really happy with what I found.

I was even allowed to look through some original Asylum records - Sad but very interesting

So basically just jump in and have a go.
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

I am so glad you enjoyed yourself, Vikki. You have reminded me how addictive it can be. Grr I have to wait for the summer before I can go again. You always think of something you should have looked up as you are on your way home... Can I put in a word for the British Library India Office Collection? Fabulous stuff in there.
    Hope it's not too long before you can go again, fully armed with all your notes and now knowing exactly where to go so you can make the most of your time.
    I need to go to the LMA myself next summer. How accessible are the workhouse registers, do you know?
    all the best
    Janexxx
    To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

Comment

Originally posted by Cool Blue View Post
      I need to go to the LMA myself next summer. How accessible are the workhouse registers, do you know?
      all the best
      Janexxx
      I had good access to the Strand Union Workhouse records when I went and discovered some useful info re my Grandad (see Myths thread!)

Can't wait to go again :D
      Alison

Researching:
      CAVE, CUCKOW/COSHOW, DAKIN, GILBERT, GINN, HUXLEY, LEATT, LETTEN, PATTERSON, PERRY, PORTER, SOMMERVILLE, WEEDON, WHITING
      http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=1025
      http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=2650

Comment

I haven't visited a records office yet but I'm going to have to soon. I just don't have a clue what I should be doing. I think I would have to spend a week down in Kew!

Comment

When you get there, the staff are really helpful, they will point you in the right direction i'm sure
          Vikki -
          Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Bear in mind that Records Offices vary enormously. Some are tiny, others vast. But they all contain genealogical treasure, you just need to discover where it is buried!

Kew is The National Archives and as such has different records from county archives. Local history centres are also useful places to visit.

The important thing is to check that they have what you want before you go. Most archives have websites now. Some records are freely available either in book form or microfilm in self-serve systems. Other - usually more fragile items - have to be ordered up from the strongroom so you have to allow time for this.
            Last edited by Little Nell; 06-02-08, 21:02.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Yes, both staff and fellow researchers are (almost!) always really helpful... from the Welsh census expert at the FRC who helped me decipher the handwriting, to the lady at Glamorgan RO who found me a map of the parishes of Swansea so I could work out which church to look for my great-grandfathe's baptism at. Lovely people the lot of them.
              Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

Comment

If you feel nervous, just remember your TAXES are paying for this!
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

My family think I've booked an Easter holiday in the Lake District cos we like fresh air & good views........yeh right!!
                  I'm off the the Record Office
                  ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

I visited the Records Office in Whitehaven, Cumbria, and had an interesting time there. I agree with all thats been said about their helpfulness and interest. On balance, though, they got more from me in the way of information and old photos than I did from them.
                    Len of the Chilterns passed away July 2021

Comment

As has been said, they vary enormously. Most are brilliant, but I have visited one that was worse than useless. The staff simply didn't seem to have a clue - we ended up showing a lady how to work Ancestry, as the staff didn't know!

Local history centres - attached to main libraries usually - I find, are almost as good. My local one has the parish records on film for the whole of Surrey, plus masses of other information and the staff are absolutely brilliant.

Personally, I find Kew a touch intimidating, and it can be very busy.

Comment

You should have visited some of these places 30 years ago!

When the staff were convinced that every archive belonged personally to them and that you were intent on either stealing or defacing it and any timid request for help or guidance resulted in a frosty "I really couldn't say".

When microfiche was hidden in their drawer behind the desk and you had to hand the last one in before you could get another one, which nine times out of ten was "Sorry, missing".

Mind you it was very good practice - I can now deal with any slightly stroppy member of staff with my hands tied behind my back! Especially now they all wear name badges, pmsl.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                          If you feel nervous, just remember your TAXES are paying for this!
                          Remember too that "heritage and culture" are the first things to be squeezed if funding is tight.

As a rough guide, staff are much likely to be happy and helpful in purpose built, well-funded premises. Of course, staff should always be sufficiently professional to overcome personal grievances, but there is no doubt that secure jobs and a decent working environment result in well motivated archivists and librarians.

Round the country, hours are being reduced and jobs are going. Our local librarian is taking early retirement.

OC is so right about the improvements over time. A certain archivist was on the committee of a local fhs solely, it was alledged, to frustrate any plans the fhs might have.

The family historian was regarded as the lowest of the low and oh, the joy of the archivist, being able to tell the latecomer (having been lost in the intricacies of the city's one way system) that their reserved seat had been given away because they were five minutes late.

Have to say my favourite excuse for non-production of documents was "the previous person to look at it must have stolen it" which reflected well on both users and archivists! It had taken a week of turning up and asking for it to reach this stage. In fact, though they wouldn't admit it, it had been miscatalogued and did eventually turn up.
                          Phoenix - with charred feathers
                          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Makes me look forward to June even more when I get to go to Durham Records Office and Gateshead Archives. As we are heading to Northumberland for a week then onto Scotland for another week.
                            Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

Comment

I am making my 5th (I think) visit to the Lincoln archives next week & have still not used anything about from the parish records on fiche. One day, I will get round to looking at the other resources.
                              Lynn

Comment

There are a lot of transcribed Memorial Inscriptions at Lincoln. We found them with about 10 mins to spare at the end of the day

Anne

Comment

I know what you mean, Anne, I did exactly the same & made sure I checked them more thoroughly the next time. I have since bought the fiche.
                                  Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                  X