Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry corrections

Have just looked up a census entry -

the name has got a correction on it - which I had already suspected (child's mother possibly died in childbirth and think aunt took her as her own) but is living with her grandmother in both 1891 and 1901 census's with no sign of the aunt only her surname!!!

How do I find who made the correction?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

If the correction has a yellow triangle on it then I don't thin k you can.or at least I don't know how!

if it has a Grey speech bubble and a plus sign you click on that to give you who submitted it.

hope this helps

Kim

Comment

Yes it has a yellow triangle.

So doesn't look like I can make contact with them then.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I've had this intriguing problem. It's annoying isn't it?
        I'd love to know who else was looking at my ancestors!

But actually I've made contacts through the 'bubble' thing and even managed to find a maiden name I'd been searching for.
        Alison

Researching:
        CAVE, CUCKOW/COSHOW, DAKIN, GILBERT, GINN, HUXLEY, LEATT, LETTEN, PATTERSON, PERRY, PORTER, SOMMERVILLE, WEEDON, WHITING
        http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=1025
        http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=2650

Comment

On the other hand, I've been known, in an altruistic moment or two, to submit corrections for folk who aren't my relatives, but who I've found whilst looking for others. I am more likely to do this if it is a real wacky one, figuring that most researchers will know that Matthews might be recorded/transcribed as Mathews or James, female is probably Jane.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Yes, me too Nell - I really couldn't leave the Harris family to fester under the mistranscription of Mauc, even though they are nothing to do with me.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by english bob
              ..if searching and have looked at an image and the transcription is 'more' than obviously wrong, I feel guilty if I don't advise, family or not, although we are all family...so hey ho!

Bob
              ......and thanks to a kind person doing this I managed to find a whole family listed under their neighbour's name
              Alison

Researching:
              CAVE, CUCKOW/COSHOW, DAKIN, GILBERT, GINN, HUXLEY, LEATT, LETTEN, PATTERSON, PERRY, PORTER, SOMMERVILLE, WEEDON, WHITING

Comment

I feel much the same... I'm trawling through a list of likely targets, and there's a really ludicrous name. Sometimes I look at the image, and wonder how the transcriber could possibly have been so wrong - other times, I congratulate the transcriber on getting anything even mildly sensible out of it!

But I can't bear to think of some poor person struggling to find some name which is wildly adrift, if I can do something to help. (Mind you, I've given up doing whole families - I just do the most critical one(s)).

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Is there a way of submiting corrections etc for BMD entries?

I found one where the transcript said 'illegable', but when I looked at the actual entry I found it quite obvious - I've had lots of certs in that area, so know the shape of the district name, even though the individual letters were a bit indistinct.

I wanted to make things easier for poeple searching, but couldn't find an option for submitting corrections or comments.

Anyone know? (I'm of to bed in a minute, but I'll check back tomorrow.)

Bee.
                  Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
                  COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Is there a way of submiting corrections etc for BMD entries?
                    FreeBMD has a corrections option, if that's what you mean - having in mind that the name-searchable index is a copy of the FreeBMD database.
                    1. Go to FreeBMD FreeBMD Home Page
                    2. Search, using the info you've got, to get you to the iffy detail
                    3. Next to each result is an "info" box - click on the one next to the iffy result
                    4. Part way down the next page is this sentence: If you have a correction to this entry, please click here.
                    5. Follow the instructions - to the letter - and you'll be able to submit your correction

Have in mind that the FreeBMD transcribers will probably have been working from a different image from the Ancestry one. It may well have been much less clear.

Christine
                    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 05-02-08, 22:45.
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Well Bee I cheat and put a correction on the name thingy!

I just successfully added a correct birthplace this way, though it wouldn't let me do it unless I slightly altered the name (ie ELISABETH instead of ELIZABETH) but at least I had the satisfaction that the correct info is now there even though it's not searchable.
                      Alison

Researching:

Comment

A query in reverse - what can you do if the the little yellow triangle is actually wrong? which I have come across for a member of my family.

What annoyed me was that within the wording was "I know the family" :( - well obviously not very well or they would've known that that branch liked to endow their children with heavyweight names like Stainsby and Pelling! :D
                        Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Hi - I think you can contact who made the alterations/corrections on Ancestry via the little yellow triangle, although it may only be ones where there is a little '+' sign aswell - I've certainly been contacted and have contacted people on Ancestry who are looking at the same people - just try and click on the triangle and see what comes up - I've just done this Ancestry on one of the mistranscribed names in my lot - and it came up with who made the correction and next to it a link for 'contact this person' - might be worth a try. I think you can rectify OR put on your own thoughts, as Bo says above if you feel you have better information and can prove otherwise.

Comment

Ooh sorry forgot to say - you can ONLY do this when you open the record, to the transcription notes, where is shows what the document says - NOT just on the list that comes up from a search - hope this helps......

Comment

Morning all!

Re BMDcorretions - the ones I'm on about are on Ancestry. I know I've corrected censuses (what is the plural of that d***ed word?!), but can't see an option for doing it on BMD lists.

And sorry JBee, for hopping into your thread - as it's about Ancestry and corrections, so on the same track, hoped you wouldn't mind.

Again, back later - got to earn a crust!

Bee.
                              Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
                              COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Bee, if you want to correct an entry in ancestry's copy of the FreeBMD database then you do have to do it via FreeBMD, and then the next time ancestry gets a new copy of the database it will include the correction. It would be chaos if different corrections were made on the two sites, wouldn't it?

If you mean you want to correct an entry in the actual GRO index then you would have to contact the GRO, but they are unlikely to do anything about it. Again, ancestry just have a copy of what is supplied to them by the GRO so there would be no point them having their own correction facility for it.
                                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

OC if those Harrises are from my neck of the woods please carry on changing them I do not mind at all LOL

I aslo change other names as well as the ones I am looking at I think it is just polite if you can help others who might be new to all this.

Laura

Comment

JBee

I have corrected corrections, lol!

Someone, don't know who, maybe Ancestry themselves, has gone through looking for married women living with their parents and adding a maiden name based on that census info only.

What they haven't factored in, is that many of those married women who are living with their "parents", actually have a mother who has remarried, so the maiden name is not the same as the mother's (new) married name.

Ancestry have accepted my corrections as "an alternative name" cheeky beggars!

OC

Comment

No problem -

Info is always useful.

Will go and see if I can click on triangle - though it was corrected in 1901 doesn't seem to have been done in 1891 and 1881 she's with her father and siblings.

Comment

Working...
                                      X