1841 & 1851 census look up please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1841 & 1851 census look up please

Hi I am looking for a Joseph Preen who was baptised in 1816 (seems to have been baptised twice, in Rock and kidderminster - both Worcestershire).

I have seen a Joseph Prien abt 1821 in a Warwickshire 1841 index. If someone could have a look at this image for me and tell me the address and who else is in the household and the ref no. it will be very much appreciated.
    Also if anyone can find them in 1851 that would be great.

Heres a list of the info I have on him already.

Joseph was a draper and then a commercial traveller and then a wholesale Millener
    He married Lydia in 1843 in Birmingham (have full details)
    Widowed in 1845 in Aston (have full cert details)
    Married Louisa 1847 Manchester (have full cert info)
    had child Joseph in 1848 in Ardwick (have full cert info)
    Alfred George Preen born 1850 in Manchester
    Henry James Preen born 1853 Manchester (have full cert info)
    Andrew John Preen born 1854 Chorlton reg district
    Living Ardwick, Lancashire 1861 (RG9 2869 Folio 72 Page 38)
    Joseph Died 1862 Chorlton reg district
    Louisa remarries 1867 Chorlton reg district

Any help greatly appreciated
    Jewels

Jewels

It is likely he was in Ardwick in 1851 and that is one of the "wet census" bits.

You can access this on a ppv site, the name of which escapes me, sorry, but someone on here will know. (British History online???)

OC

Comment

Hi OC,

Just my luck that they will have been in Ardwick then if it can not be read.

Always nice to know about the parts that are illegible/destroyed/lost etc. At least if they can not be found anywhere else I can now give a possible reason why.

Thanks
      Jewels

Comment

1841 census High Street Rugby, Warks -Joseph Prien 20 (cant read occ looks like S .Sh.) aged 20 not born in County, George Round aged 15 m.s. born in county and Sarah Hallum aged 20 born in county. in same household. refs Class: HO107/ Piece 1137/Book: 18/Civil Parish/ Rugby/ County: Warwickshire; Enumeration District: 18/ Folio: 6/ Page: 4/ Line: 25/GSU roll: 464176.

Comment

Thankyou Kim, thats great, just pity you cant read occupation - was hoping it would be draper, although he did later become a commercial traveller and then a wholesale Millener.
          Could the S be a J for journeyman perhaps?

Thanks
          Jewels

Comment

i could send you a copy of the page if you pm me your email address? Just doesn't look like anything much to me!:D

Comment

There is a draper's and a butcher's next door.....

Comment

Thanks Kim
                I will pm you

Comment

Jewels

No, the wet bit has largely been restored - about 90% of it. But it is only available through one site.

Wish I could remember the name of the site because I have some unused credits!

OC

Comment

Hi OC
                    Its not family history online is it?

Jewels

Comment

Oooh, it might be - let me go and have a look!

EDIT

Yes, it was! I have a few unusued credits - do you want me to look? Not sure if I have enough to download anything though.

OC
                      Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 05-02-08, 20:00.

Comment

If you dont mind that would be great. Thank you very much

Jewels

Comment

Jewels

Oh dear, you aren't going to like this much..

I searched for "Joseph Preen, any spelling" and this is the only result I got:

97 London Rd (address inferred from previous and following addresses on schedule) St Andrew Manchester.

Lousia Preen Head WIDOW 34 Milliner - pob unreadable
                          Joseph T Preen son age unreadable born Manchester
                          Alfred son aged 1 born Manchester
                          Harriet Preen sister, unmarried, 23 born Manchester.

(Piece number HO107/2228)

Of course, widow may be wrong......but big Joseph wasn't at home that night!

OC

Comment

Hi OC,
                            Oh dear, thats confusing..............

He did have a sister Hannah baptised 1830 in Astley but not a Harriet born Manchester as far as I know. But Hannah could look like Harriet even without water damage.
                            I will have to look further into this and see if I may be getting two different Joseph's and their families muddled up.
                            I have come accross before now though that a Wife has been put as a widow on one census and by the next he is miraculously alive again.
                            Maybe he was in a workhouse or hospital or prison..........

Thankyou very much for your help, it is most appreciated.

Jewels

Comment

Yes, I agree, Harriet and Hannah are easily confused, and I would also say that "W" and "M" are also easily confused, except she IS down as head, and she is a Milliner, rather than the "home duties" etc, more suitable to a wife!

Incidentally, this family was bottom of page 7 and I couldn't see any way to get to page 8 without a name to search, so I am only assuming that was the whole family.

Oh, and I have had many a husband arising from the dead to reappear in the next census! Just a marital tiff, I presume.

OC

Comment

Found the Joseph you mean on the 1841 - however, his name looks more like Joseph Brien to me. I cannot read his occupation...o. st? Not born in county. He is sharing with George Round aged 15, a male servant and Sarah Hallam 15, female servant.

There are other people in the house but in a separate household.

However...there IS a draper in the same road. (Hardly surprising though, cos it's the High Street!)

Who does he say is his father at his first marriage?

OC

Comment

Hi OC

29 Dec.1816 p23 No184 Joseph s.of Samuel Preen, sadler, & Martha of Kidderminster
                                  (bap. by Mr Cooke of Kidderminster and publicly received as above), Rock

Marriage 1 father = Samuel Preen, Sadler
                                  Marriage 2 father = Samuel Preen, Sadler

Astley Parish Registers.
                                  Samuel s.of Joseph Preen & Ann (born 25 Nov.1793) bap. 3 Dec.1793
                                  1815 May 29th at Rock Samuel Preen of Astley mar Martha Rogers, married by licence.

Astley Parish Registers.
                                  p44. No.349. Samuel Preen of Astley buried 17 Sept.1835 aged 41 years.

Jewels

Comment

ps. Neither marriage states father deceased. But 2nd marriage does state that he is a widow.

Comment

Oh, and who is this then?

Birth

Hannah Jane Preen, Ardwick, 1851....... (Lancsbmd).

Joseph couldn't have been very far away then, in 1851!

Pity Samuel was bad mannered enough to die before the 1841 census. Wonder what Martha did without him? I will have a look for her.

OC

Comment

1841 census for Evesham Street, Redditch, Worcestershire Bromsgrove, Tardebigg 1 H0 107 1198 15 Folio 12 Page 16
                                        1806 William Collins 35 Draper No
                                        1806 Elizabeth Collins 35 yes
                                        1828 William Collins 13 no
                                        1833 Cornelius Collins 8 yes
                                        1837 James Collins 4 yes
                                        1840 Elizabeth Collins 10m yes
                                        1826 Robert Collins 15 No
                                        1826 Sarah Woodbridge 15 FS yes
                                        1796 Martha Preen 45 Ind yes
                                        1830 Hannah Preen 11 yes

1861 census for 35 Rasholme Road st Lukes, Cholton upon Medlock, Manchester RG9 2879 Folio 30 Page 11 Item 57
                                        1815 Mary Armitage Head U 46 Millener Manchester, Lancs
                                        1796 Martha Ryan Lodger W 65 Millener Rock, Worcestershire
                                        1831 Hannah Preen Lodger U 30 Millener Astley Kings, Worcestershire

Deaths Sep 1881 Martha RYAN 86 Chorlton 8c 343

Comment

Working...
                                        X