• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some advice needed please

Hi

Just something thats been puzzling me.

Re: Jane Readman

If she was born early 1840's is it possible that the parents could get her registered in a totally different county to the one she was born in. I realise that not all births were registered this early.

The father was a journeyman and she is the only child in the family born in Ovenden nr Halifax. Everything before her was in Whitby and also everything after. There are a few possible births on freebmd but all Whitby.

Thankyou
    Elaine

Researching - Weatherall, Spenceley, Readman, Conquer

Only if her parents lied about where she was born! And why would they bother? Maybe her place of birth was not what was "remembered" when the census was completed?

Comment

Weren't Whitby and Halifax both in the same county? But if they actually went to register her birth in a different district from the one where she was born, then as I understand it, the paperwork would all have been transferred to the district where she was born and would be indexed as that district anyway.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Maybe she wasn't registered? It wasn't compulsory until 1875 and in the 1840's was the responsibility of the registrar, so if they were only "passing through" they might easily have been overlooked!

Comment

On the censi she was the only one born Halifax everyone else was born Whitby.

Merry not being registered is the only explanation I can think of. I guess there may be a possibility that she could have been baptised when they got back to Whitby. Could this be a way of finding her if she wasn't registered in Halifax.

Kiterunner

I think Halifax would have been in West Yorkshire and Whitby is North Yorkshire.
          Elaine

Comment

She could have been "accidentally" born in Halifax, lol, mother returned home with baby and they couldn't see the point going all the way back to Halifax to register her.

I would look for baptisms.

OC

Comment

Lol OC. Well it is another possibility!! I'll check out Whitby baptisms when I go to NYRO next month.

Thankyou
              Elaine

Comment

Working...
              X