Joined up in 1914...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joined up in 1914...

A distant relative of mine, Robert Gray (or Grey) Lucey, born 1864 - I was looking in the WW1 records on ancestry to see if his son of the same name (who was born 1896) fought in WW1, but what do I find - Robert sr's attestation papers for the Special Reserve in 1914! He gave his age as 47 although he would have been 50. So it might be worth looking up some of your rellies who you assumed were too old to be included.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Thanks for that idea.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Turns out he had been in the army before which I think would be why he was enlisted for WW1. He was discharged in Dec 1917 due to "debility" (at the age of 53)! Doesn't look as though he actually served overseas - he received the British War Medal for Draft Conducting. But the papers have loads of info in, so well worth checking in case.
      KiteRunner

Comment

Oh dear, I finally found Robert jr on CWGC - he died in action in 1918, age 22. Didn't use his middle name which is why he took a while for me to find.
        KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
        X