Why does AVG take over half an hour to scan my laptop?? still

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does AVG take over half an hour to scan my laptop?? still

it takes about 5 minutes on my PC which has loads of stuff but ages on this Laptop which has hardly any programmes on it
    I did uninstall it and reinstall it but its still the same ,could it be to do with Vista???

Only half an hour??? It takes Norton 80 minutes on both the laptop and the PC. We can still do other stuff while its scanning though!

Anne

Comment

Val, I did an AVG scan yesterday on my pc and it took 50 minutes.
      Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Whew! I read this earlier and was trying to work out what on earth I was doing wrong with my AVG if it was supposed to scan in 5 minutes!

Val - my AVG must take about an hour. I've never timed it precisely.
        Gillian
        User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

My virus scanner takes about 45 minutes to scan my PC.

Depends on how big the Hard drive is for one thing.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

really everybody ?? oh I thought that was slow , trouble is it makes everything slower when its scanning.
            Are you supposed to scan each day ???

Comment

Norton recommends once a week. It will do what it calls a quick scan described as "scanning those areas most likley to be affected" whatever that implies! :( That only takes about 4 minutes.

Are you sure your PC is being scanned fully? We have hundreds of thousands of files scanned when we get the Norton report. I must say I was very glad to have its support during the GR fiasco!

Anne

Comment

this does a scan each day is that right or can I set it to do it once a week or something, or is that silly

Comment

Norton scans every day on mine. Don't think half an hour is excessive. Just carry on with something else or set it to do it whilst you are doing something away from the computer.

Comment

You can set it how you want Val - whatever time you want - or just take off the automatic scan and click to scan it when you want.

Comment

Mine takes a little more than half an hour every morning when I log on & I don't really care how long it takes if it keeps my pc safe as it did this morning, finding & dealing with 3 Trojan threats.
                      Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

I gave up with that application donkeys ago, it did my head in, I just use my firewall and take care while surfing.

Comment

My AVG takes just under 2hrs.If you tick just the files that you want scanned it takes about 20mins
                          Baldy

Comment

how do you know which files to tick ??? thanks and would that not put you at risk ???

Comment

Originally posted by Dead Rellies View Post
                              I gave up with that application donkeys ago, it did my head in, I just use my firewall and take care while surfing.
                              I would have thought that was a little bit dangerous.
                              What about nasties arriving by email?
                              Elaine

Comment

Working...
                              X