No announcement yet.

1901 Census Returns - "Lost/destroyed"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1901 Census Returns - "Lost/destroyed"?

Help needed please:

I have been searching for the Boshell family in Wanstead, Essex. They are there in 1891 but have disappeared completely in 1901. As a test I searched for other people on the same page in the 1891 Census and they also are missing from the 1901 Census.

Is there a list of "lost/destroyed" Census Returns? Their address in 1891 is a bit difficult to read but I think it is Ca-m Hall Road, Niagara Terrace, Wanstead.

I found their daughter Ethel Mary Boshell "living in" as a servant in another part of London, but Frederick Boshell, Eliza Jane Boshell, Stella Jane Boshell and Kenneth Arthur E. Boshell are all "lost". Just in case they had moved I have searched through the 1901 Census in all areas but cannot find them and the only thing I can think is that perhaps they are on a "missing/destroyed" Census Return.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Jean

Jean, have you tried searching on other sites that also have the 1901 census, for instance the "official" 1901 census site (now part of GR)?
    1901 Census of England and Wales Online

Not sure which other sites have their own indexes, but maybe The Genealogist does? Or findmypast?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I think the address might be Cann Hall. I dimly remember either I or husband have distantly related folk living in Cann Hall, Essex.

I also think it likely that the pages covering the area were badly recorded/mistranscribed. The only bits of 1901 that I know to be missing are parts of Kent. Cann Hall is certainly there!
      Last edited by Little Nell; 04-02-08, 23:34.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Jean, if you are looking for them on ancestry, their surname is transcribed as Roshell on the 1901. Eliza J is a widow... full details follow in a minute...
        KiteRunner

Comment

RG13/1616 Folio 123 Page 19
          32 Tyndall Rd, Leyton, Essex
          Eliza J Boshell Head Wid 57 Living on own means London Limehouse
          Stella J Do Daur S 20 do Tottenham (Midx)
          Kenneth A E Do Son S 18 Commercial Clerk Essex Stratford.
          KiteRunner

Comment

1891 address is Cann Hall Road.

Cant find any Boshell events registered 1891-1901 in West Ham (which includes Wanstead area). Maybe they moved and are mistranscribed in their new home.

Comment

Well done, KiteRunner!

Comment

1901 Census

Thank you so much - I looked for the variations of Boshell but did not think to look for Roshell!

I will have another look for Frederick's death - I have already found Eliza Jane aged 88, her daughter Edith Mary aged 84 and son Kenneth aged 68.

Once again many thanks - I spend ages looking for answers myself but as soon as I ask here the results are almost immediate.

Jean

Comment

Curious, only death I can find for Fred* Boshell in West Ham reg district is in 1883, for a child.
                  Frederick Robert M Boshell [born about 1878} 1883 Jul-Aug-Sep West Ham

Comment

Trying a bit of lateral thinking, if it was pronounced Bozzle, it could be transcribed as Boswell.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Frederick Boshell Jnr.

Frederick R.M. Boshell was born in 1878 and died when he was four (nearly five) he was Frederick and Eliza Jane's first child.

I am still looking for Frederick Snr.'s death and will try Boswell. From above you will see that kite rider found them in 1901 under the name "Roshell" - the mind boggles at times.

I have a g.g.g. grandmother and on birth/marriage/death she is "Betty", "Betsy" and finally "Elizabeth" - which caused no end of problems as there were a number of females with those names in the wider family and they all lived in the same village!

Jean

Comment

Jean

Boshell to Roshell is an understandable error. Whereas my most mind-boggling one was finding a Stevens family transcribed as "Howard"!

Comment

Working...
                        X