Orphans sent to Canada but no sign of mothers death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orphans sent to Canada but no sign of mothers death

I was told that the reason two sisters were sent to Canada was because they were orphans I know the father died but can find no record of the mothers death ,is it possible they were taken because she was alone and could not afford to bring them up ???
    In which case I am looking for her death too early.

I think a lot of children who had to go into care if one parent died and the other couldn't look after them were sent abroad and told both parents were dead.

Here are a couple of sites that I know of.

British Home Children

BIFHSGO Home Children Introduction
    Last edited by Durham Lady; 04-02-08, 21:51.
    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Yep, an orphan was a child who had lost its father, not necessarily both parents.

Children were sent to Canada without the remaining parent's permission in many cases.

OC

Comment

Thats interesting I shall look further into her death then thanks .

Comment

Or a re-marriage?
          Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

hi I tried that too and sent for the cert same name even the surname , so I thought maybe she married his brother or a rellie ,but the wrong woman !!!!
            Ah well another long hunt thanks again.

Comment

A few years ago a friend loaned me a book which was purcahsed in Austrailia; I think at the time it couldnt be bought in England. I cant remember the exact title but something like 'the Fairbridge Children'

It told the story of a boy who was sent out to Australia to work on a farm and he was told that his parents had died, however as a grown man, he found his mother was still alive. I wont tell you anymore in case you would like to read it; a very sad but enthralling book.
              Kathleen

Comment

My great grandfather's two sisters were sent to Canada even though their mother was still alive but in the workhouse in 1882. He never saw them again. I know what happened to them - he never did.
                Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Comment

Kath

Unfortunately, it was very common to tell children both their parents had died, and send them off to the colonies.

OC

Comment

thats so sad I have found the info on where they went, and have written to Barnados, they responded with the reply I have to be the nearest direct descendant or they wont supply the info , how do I prove that???
                    The closest rellie is my aunt but she is old and not really with it .
                    I wonder if they will let me know do hope so

Comment

I don't recall all the details of the story but I feel sure that the parents were told that the children would be getting 'the chance of a lifetime' to learn new farming skills and perhaps they thought that they were coming back.
                      Kathleen

Comment

Kath

In one book I read (factual) a mother was told the boy was going to Rhodesia. She had no idea where that was and thought he was going on a week's holiday.

Val

Ermmmm....is your aunt with it enough to sign a letter you write in her name????

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          Kath

In one book I read (factual) a mother was told the boy was going to Rhodesia. She had no idea where that was and thought he was going on a week's holiday.

Val

Ermmmm....is your aunt with it enough to sign a letter you write in her name????

OC

OC!!!!!
                          With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

OC I might pretend she dead LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                              Yep, an orphan was a child who had lost its father, not necessarily both parents.

OC
                              Thanks for that info OC, I had recently found a rellie in a school for railway orphans, which I thought was strange as his mother was alive & well. His father had died in a railway accident.
                              Lynn

Comment

I am sending for war records for two cousins. I don't know if I am classed as next of kin, but the records office said 'if the parents are dead then sign to say you are'
                                Rita

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/.../User:Nappycat

Comment

well as from today I am officially the next of kin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Val, you'll need to be prepared for a long wait!

I sent off my hundred quid last August to get my father's records from Barnardo's. I'd been told it would take 4 -6 months, but when I rang in December I was told that it will take a year in total for records from Canada! :( Another 6 months to wait ....argggghhhh!

But I know it will be worth it.

Thought you'd like to be forewarned, Val.

Bee.
                                    Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
                                    COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Working...
                                    X