Find my past bought by Scotland online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find my past bought by Scotland online

I don't know if anyone has already posted this, but it was in an email from Lost Cousins.
    "And, just as we were writing this newsletter, we saw an announcement that
    findmypast.com has been taken over by Scotland Online, the company that is
    digitising the 1911 England & Wales census. "

This seems to suggest that Find my past will have the 1911 census.
    Lynn

I had the same message - I hope they don't go pay per view like Scotland on Line - I'm using my subscription to look at death duty registers and burials and have already had some very good results. Pay per view would make it very expensive.

Is Scotland online responsible for Scotalnd's People - I'm a bit confused now! I googled and got a website, but it seems to be responsible for all sorts of things.
    Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 04-02-08, 16:43.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

There is some info on the FindmyPast website
      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
        I had the same message - I hope they don't go pay per view like Scotland on Line - I'm using my subscription to look at death duty registers and burials and have already had some very good results. Pay per view would make it very expensive.
        Elizabeth Scotland online don't have a site for research it's Scotlands People who have the website. Scotland Online play a big part in a lot of websites and do work alongside Scotlands People too but SP 'pay per view' is down to them and nothing to do with Scotland Online.

If Scotland online have bought find my past them I'm sure that they will keep the site as it is.
        With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Actually this could be a good thing

After all its thanks to Scotland Online that Scotlands People is such a great site Now I wonder...... just a thought....... I wonder if English/Welsh researchers will soon be able to view registration images online rather than having to send off for certs.

How good would that be for all of you with English/Welsh ancestry?

I guess if that happens though the site may become pay per view or maybe Scotlands People will become a subscription site.... Wooo Hooo.

Maybe things won't change at all, BUT, I have a feeling that Scotland Online will soon be working hard to digitilize images for England and Wales in the same way they did for Scotland

Comment

Shaz, they would need a change in the law to be allowed to supply downloadable images of the BMD certs.

But at least we can guess where the 1911 census images will be now!
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
              Shaz, they would need a change in the law to be allowed to supply downloadable images of the BMD certs.

But at least we can guess where the 1911 census images will be now!
              Sorry nipped off for my tea :o

Would they need a change in the law to supply downlaoded images of the actual registration pages as they do on SP? I can never get my head round the differences between Scottish and English laws.

Could they not even do it with the registrations that are over 100yrs?

Comment

Shaz

Yes, it would need a change in the law for English and Welsh certs to be viewable and/or downloadable on line.

When Civil Registration started in 1837, they could never have imagined in their wildest dreams that millions of people would become certificate collectors!

In order to get people to comply with the rules of Civil Registration, they had to promise that the information on the certs was only availalble if you PAID for a certificate. Payment was intended to put off the nosey parkers.

Of course, this could be easily got round if the law was changed - but there is no impetus to change it because it is not a burning political issue, and isn't going to get anyone in, or out of, number 10.

OC

Comment

Awwww thats so unfair to all of you who have English/Welsh ancestry :(

Maybe I will start a petition.... or I'll study the law books and find a loophole :D

Now does this law relate to civil registrations only or does it extend to parish records?

Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel I just think its a shame that you have to search indexes and then order certs which may not be the correct cert.

Wonder how long it would take them to change the law?? I mean it can't be a long process surely? Maybe if enough people nip their heads then they'll just turn it around to shut everyone up :D

Comment

It's civil reg only, Shaz - there are already some parish records available for download (Kent mainly)
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I think there may be changes in the pipeline I have been reading a document....... Civil Registrations: vital change, White Paper.

It seems that the government are already aware of the desire for easier access and are considering it

Mind you thats my take on it and I am probably reading it wrong

Comment

Shaz

I think "easier access" means online ordering! And easier access for registrars. But I will off and have a look at this white paper.

Incidentally, the DOVE project started out intending to provide downloadable certs for a reduced fee for family historians etc. This idea was quietly shelved when someone pointed out that it is against existing law to publish or cause to be published, a certificate of a vital event, even if it is a non-certified copy.

Big shame!

OC

Comment

Hahaha!

"The Government has no view on the electronic capture of records" but would support a not-for-profit organisation who wished to do this.

OC

Comment

No it mentions electronically OC

Read page 30 Historic Records 6.5. till end of 6.8.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/Images/wpeng_tcm69-3581.pdf

Comment

Shaz

Yes, it mentions electronic capturing of historic records, but it reads to me that these records will only be available to Official Users!

However, it then goes on to say that there will be a marked loss of revenue for the GRO......honestly, what idiots, the answer is staring them in the face - downloadable historic records, just like they have in Scotland!

Let's face it, if you were intent on getting a false identity for yourself, you could do it anyway, regardless of downloadable certs or not. As even a certified copy of a cert is "Not evidence of identity" then all these government agencies shouldn't be placing so much reliance on a bit of paper which anyone can obtain for £7.

OC

Comment

So I read it wrong then :o

I hate white papers.... they were always mentioned in Sociology :D

Comment

Shaz

I reckon there is just as much chance that I read it wrong as you did!!! Impenetrable stuff these white papers.

OC

Comment

Maybe I will contact Downing Street and see whats happening

After all, One of the assignments I did in Sociology was about The Black Report and look what happened to that it just got shelved.

So I'll have to find out if this is gathering dust somewhere too :D

Off to bed now... will sleep on this....G' nite

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                      Shaz

I think "easier access" means online ordering! And easier access for registrars. But I will off and have a look at this white paper.

Incidentally, the DOVE project started out intending to provide downloadable certs for a reduced fee for family historians etc. This idea was quietly shelved when someone pointed out that it is against existing law to publish or cause to be published, a certificate of a vital event, even if it is a non-certified copy.

Big shame!

OC
                                      does this mean that the Dove project is no longer happening?
                                      Lynn

Comment

Lynn

Oh no, the DOVE project is still ongoing, but has changed its aim slightly.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X