Advice Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Please

I am really excited, I am going to the LMA tomorrow, my first RO trip.

I have my note pad and pencil (s) and a list of what I want to look at.

Can anyone else think of anything else I will need?
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Some ID, perhaps?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Anorak - Check
      Id - Check

Anything else? Got to go out soon, so I'm not ignoring any other replys
      Vikki -

Comment

Print off a few of these forms:

Take some change for the photocopier.

Comment

The anorak may be useful for bagging your seat! I've no idea how busy lma is midweek, but the day before closure it was horrendous, with people whipping seats under your very nose.
          I take as little as I possibly can into a RO, and make sure it all has my address on it! Before now, I have come away with someone else's reference book and not even realised it until a month or so later.
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Check what means of payment you'll need.
            If you're going to do lots of printing, it may be worth paying for a card, but if it's going to be relatively little, it might be better to check what coins you'll need. Last time I went, it would have been really useful to have more 5p pieces, for instance, to deal with 25p or 35p or whatever. The print-pay system doesn't give change, as I recall.

I think they have a "Prepare for your visit" page on their site? I know most ROs do, so that's worth a look, too.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks everyone, I had forgotten about the downloaded pages, will copy a few to take with me, and I have lots of change - just raided my daughters piggy bank
              Vikki -

Comment

I always take a magnifying glass, useful for the sections of fiche/microfilm which appear to have been sandpapered!

Comment

Lunch!

Not sure about now its reopened, but LMA did have a snack machine which did choc bars, etc. Also a drinks machine and free water machine.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Tony, only problem I have is I have an A4 magnifier and its a litle bulky for my handbag - Could always pinch hubbys glasses :D
                    Vikki -

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                      Lunch!

Not sure about now its reopened, but LMA did have a snack machine which did choc bars, etc. Also a drinks machine and free water machine.
                      I didn't even think about food - just shows how excited I am
                      Vikki -

Comment

I managed to get there for the first time last year and had a great time!

It's a bit daunting at first, so take a deep breath and try to be methodical - not like me running round like a headless chicken at first! LOL!

Not sure how it's altered since then, but I felt a right idiot trying to use the microfiche machines at first, and had to ask the man sitting next to me for help.
                        I couldn't believe that I was allowed to handle old books.

The staff were very friendly there and it was fairly empty mid-week in January.

Oh and the coffee from the machine was ok but hot chocolate better!
                        Alison

Researching:
                        CAVE, CUCKOW/COSHOW, DAKIN, GILBERT, GINN, HUXLEY, LEATT, LETTEN, PATTERSON, PERRY, PORTER, SOMMERVILLE, WEEDON, WHITING
                        http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=1025
                        http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=2650

Comment

I take my laptop or print offs of my tree as you my come across that elusive baptism that has taken years of fruitless searching!
                          Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

If you're after grub about a 2 minute walk away there's a little Somerfield where you can get sandwiches or a limited amount of hot deli stuff.
                            A little further down Exmouth Market there's sandwich bars and pubs etc.

If I'd known you were coming I'd have sorted out some bits to look up and arranged to meet up and show you around. Although now it's all changed I probably don't know my way around any more.
                            Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Pencils, you are not normally allowed to take pens into the RO's.
                              Coins for the machines if you want to print things off. Some Ro's only allow loose sheets of paper and in a clear plastic sleeve.

Enjoy your day.
                              Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Vikki

Now please remember you are an Emissary of FTF tomorrow, so no shrieking, fainting, vomiting, hiccuping, sneezing or coughing please - the reputation of this Site rests entirely in your hands tomorrow.

(In case any of the above is unavoidable, please tell people loudly that you belong to another site. Don't mention FTF. Ditto if arrested.)

OC

Comment

ooooh - you could leave some FTF print out sheets in the common room "by accident"

That's if they have the site's address on.
                                  Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

I have a list of ancestors birth dates and a growing note book of searches and findings which I usually take with me as a guide that I can refer to, just in case I have to divert from my list of 'things to do' because of lack of resources. It means that I can look for other information that may be available and make use of the time spent there.
                                    Kathleen

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                      Vikki

Now please remember you are an Emissary of FTF tomorrow, so no shrieking, fainting, vomiting, hiccuping, sneezing or coughing please - the reputation of this Site rests entirely in your hands tomorrow.

(In case any of the above is unavoidable, please tell people loudly that you belong to another site. Don't mention FTF. Ditto if arrested.)

OC
                                      Thanks all for your advice - sadly my brain was not functioning and I forgot to take my FTF parish register pages, and as such I for got to write down the year of a baptism (argh:()

I really enjoyed myself but the smell from the paint and other fumes from the work going on gave me a really bad headache and made me feel sick so I had to leave earlier then I would have liked.

I also had a sneezing fit in the reading room - I was not popular :o

So its a good job no-one knew I was from the FTF ;)
                                      Vikki -

Comment

Hi Vicky

I think OC must have had a premonition about all that sneezing

Shame you had to leave early, but at least you know your way round now so the next visit will be a doddle - and hopefully all the fumes will be gone by then.
                                        I'm hoping to get there in April so fingers crossed
                                        Alison

Researching:
                                        CAVE, CUCKOW/COSHOW, DAKIN, GILBERT, GINN, HUXLEY, LEATT, LETTEN, PATTERSON, PERRY, PORTER, SOMMERVILLE, WEEDON, WHITING
                                        http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=1025
                                        http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=2650

Comment

Working...
                                        X