Problems on GR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems on GR?

Tried to log on, to reply to a couple of contact messages. I was immediately redirected to the "Performance Optimiser" rubbish with no sign at all of GR.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Hi Uncle John

I got those messages a couple of times yesterday, but I just closed them and it went on to GR. The diversion seems to be gone today.

Di
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Just tried going on there and straight away got a trojan horse warning from our anti virus so had to abort connection again.

Comment

Have you tried Dave's solution?

Comment

Originally posted by gloryer View Post
          Just tried going on there and straight away got a trojan horse warning from our anti virus so had to abort connection again.
          I had exactly the same experience as you, Gloryer, so am going to leave well alone for now - it seemed to be trying to open a site with a long name beginning with "Q", when I clicked on the link to the GR site
          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

yes I got that as well something like quenache
            Thats the 3rd time in as many days so like you will leave well alone for now.
            That is bad for a site with all the revenue they must have.

Comment

It certainly is - I wonder whether we will see a rise in membership here as a result
              Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Muggins in Sussex View Post
                It certainly is - I wonder whether we will see a rise in membership here as a result
                I shouldn't be surprised Joan. They're certainly going to get a fall of one in their membership if they don't sort it out before my renewal is due in a few weeks' time:(:(

Roger

Comment

its happened twice to me over the weekend but we have norton on our pc but its still worrying that its taken this long to sort out.
                  karen
                  karen in the new forest.....what goes around comes around........

Comment

Uncle John,,, I have been on GR for my Hot Matches 5 pages and not one that was mine-
                    then it blow a raspberry at me and throught me off. I guess that is what happens when you have Ian Smith (?) in your tree. It would be nice if the Smith's I got were in the UK and not all over the world
                    Sheila
                    I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Comment

John, there are several threads on there about it. The optimiser and another one - the one beginning with Q - try to hijack your computer when you go on there. It may be wise for you to run your avg scan and do what Dave has instructed on the other thread.

I can go on there now without it jumping on my puter - Im using firefox instead of IE7 and even before I did what Dave said using firefox a little bubble came up saying "phishing site" and then the page wouldnt open. So that was saving it from downloading.

GR have, as usual, denied any responsibility for the problem. People are rightly up in arms as there are many older/less knowledgeable people on there who may be carrying the trojan on their puter and not knowing they are.

I remember when I complained that someone had accessed my account on there and changed my name - GR said it was not possible - though it certainly happened! OC and some others reckoned all that sort of thing which has happened on there but which they always deny was possibly due to disgruntled techis who work on the GR server in the USA - it does make you wonder because Id have thought this sort of virus and trojan had to be added to the GR set up for everyone to be getting it on there.

Comment

Sheila - not literally a raspberry?

Comment

I wonder why it isn't happening to me
                          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I did as Dave suggested and have checked that the info re Qu... has been added to the Host list But I tried GR last night and that trojan came up again . I kept pressing the X but it would not go. I was panicking again for a few secs then my puter asked me if I wanted to close all tabs, (I'm on ie7) so gratefully I did:D I t obviously had not been diverted to 0.0.0.0

Someone suggested on a thread to use ie7 pro instead. Will this make a difference?
                            Does firefox have tab system Heather?

Just been in and re added as info from Dave is slightly different to his first posting and noticed that SPYBOT which I installed last night have added masses of sites to the list. Hope this works now.
                            Will try GR tonight after work if I dare go on it again.
                            Last edited by Katarzyna; 04-02-08, 10:17.
                            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I mentioned IE7 Pro Kat. It's just an add on to IE7 and I downloaded it a couple of days ago. It's brilliant because it's got rid of those annoying ads

Very simple to do by the way - it's the first time I've done anything without hubby standing over me

Comment

Well, I for one, am not going back there till they have it sorted. I really don't see why I should have to fiddle about with my perfectly satisfactory computer settings just to accommodate them.

They can do without me - I don't pay any more anyway:p

Anne

Comment

Thanks Chrissie, will have a go tonight.

I have down loaded Dave's expert advice and made a special folder for him called Dave Pussey's Tips, so I can add, as and when
                                  Last edited by Katarzyna; 04-02-08, 10:22.
                                  Kat

Comment

Maybe you should ask an expert first Kat because I know that some programmes can conflict and if you have already downloaded spy bot it may not be a good idea. I just have Norton and the IE7 + Pro.

Comment

Perhaps sks can advise me on that?
                                      Kat

Comment

Looks as if the problem has been fixed now - GR have removed ALL adverts from the site (temporarily, I'm sure!) and Colin From Hampshire has put up a copy of a message from Estelle, saying they have found the culprit and removed it.

But what a pity GR didn't put up a sticky message for EVERYONE!

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X