Tree with only direct ancester line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tree with only direct ancester line?

Following on from Mandy's question, is it possible to print out a tree which only shows the direct line of ancestors - perhaps also with children, but not their progeny - so I can send it off to the relevant descendant. They won't want to see the whole of my tree, and I thought this might make it more decipherable. I've got FTM 2005, but am planning to install 2006 as soon as I pluck up courage. (All this GR virus stuff has freaked me out a bit re computers!)

Any ideas?

Bee.
    Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
    COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

FTM - direct ancestors

Open tree
    Place cursor on the person who you want to be at the bottom of the tree
    Click on Tree Charts icon
    Select Ancestor Tree standard or Ancestor Tree vertical

Go to CONTENTS
    Click on Items to include in each box
    using the left and right arrows between the two boxes you can choose what you want to appear on your printer version, e.g. Name, date of birth, date of death, marriage date - location of events etc.

Select nunber of generations you want to include in your chart.

To to FORMAT
    Click on text font, style, size etc - obviously the smaller you can make the text the more will fit on each page!

If you want to send the tree to someone by email then you can export it as a pdf file.

Go to FILE
    Select EXPORT ANCESTOR TREE (as pdf file)
    Elaine

Comment

If you want a DESCENDANT TREE, then similar thing.
      Start with your cursor on the person you want at the top of the tree

Go the Tree Charts icon and select Descendant Tree Standard

Same as above -select number of generations, items to include in boxes, font size etc.
      Elaine

Comment

That was quick, Elaine - again! (You'll have to change your moniker to 'Speedy Elaine!!)

Problem sorted - note to self -'must be more patient before panicking'!

I've been trying it out, but is there a way of undoing what I've done? In Contents - Dialogue Options I've eroneously got rid of 'yyy//yyy' and the name in bold - I was trying to have the surnames in capitals.

How can i go back and start again?

Bee.
        Last edited by Bee; 03-02-08, 14:59. Reason: Gave up too easily!
        Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
        COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Just click on CONTENTS again and rechoose whatever you want.

If you want the last name in capitals then
          go to CONTENT
          select ITEMS TO INCLUDE
          click the Name option and it will bring up another box so that you can format how you want the name printed - there is a tick box there for last name in caps

If you have made something bold and you don't want it then go back to FORMAT, select TEXT FONT STYLE SIZE and remove the bold.

You can keep going back to any of these options until the tree is how you want it to look.

Not sure what you mean here
          In Contents - Dialogue Options I've eroneously got rid of 'yyy//yyy
          Elaine

Comment

Hi...... thought I'd just tag on the end of Bee's thread as I'm trying to do the same.

If you've sorted it out Bee.......please help!!

I'm trying to print only the direct line on A4 ..... In the 'include' box.....I've taken out everything, but it still shows all the children of the families.

Jean
            Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

Yes Jean, I did it pretty easily - I find Elaine's instructions so clear, at least to me!

I did an Ancestors Standard Chart.

What are you trying to do - Ancestors or Descendants?

Bee.
              Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

I was trying to do descendants Bee ...... but really it doesn't matter which way.

To be honest I haven't really tried Elaine's instructions yet ..... I took one look and thought ....I'm going to have to have a couple of windows open here ...... as I wouldn't remember what to do after the first instructon.

I have tried for ages, my way, ..... but it didn't work... and like you, I'm frightened I wreck the whole thing and lose all my tree.

If you say ...you found it easy ..... I'll have a go......tomorrow... and let you know how I get on.

Thank you for getting back to me.

Jean

Comment

Can anybody tell me how to get a copy(CD ETC?) of the British Vital Records Index please.

Comment

Originally posted by brianscottingham View Post
                    Can anybody tell me how to get a copy(CD ETC?) of the British Vital Records Index please.
                    You might have got a quicker reply if you'd started a new thread
                    Any way BVRI can bought from here

LDS Distribution Centre
                    399 Garretts Green Lane
                    Birmingham B33 0UH

Fax Orders 08700 102052
                    Debit / Credit Card Orders 08700 102051

It's about £20 or I think you can order direct from the States through Family search.org but then there's higher p&p charges!

I see you're in Essex too, have you seen the new Regional Threads? We come under Eastern Region - your input would be very helpful too;)
                    Sue

Comment

Jean, if you're doing a Descendant Chart, you need to select that option from the 'Tree Charts' icon at the top of the screen.
                      ~Then you need to go into 'Contents' and select the number of generations.
                      ~If you don't want siblings and everyone, but just want the direct line down, you need to select, in 'Contents' the 'Indivuduals to Include' option.
                      ~Then chose the 'Direct Descendants only from * * to **' (the names will be the person the icon is on in your tree, and will be eg 'from Fred Bloggs to Fred Bloggs').
                      ~Select, in that same box, 'Change secondary individual'.
                      ~That will open a list of possible names - select who you want to end with eg 'Jean Tonic'.
                      ~Cick 'ok' and that should do it.....

....I hope, if I've worked it out right! Elaine would have been so much more succinct than I've been!

Let us know how you get on.

Bee.
                      Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

Bee ..you've explained that very well ..... Elaine will be proud of you....... lol

I didn't have enough time to try it today ... but now you've given me the 'idiots guide' ... I'm sure I'll manage ......... (that was easy to say)

We'll find out tomorrow ........... and you can be sure, I'll let you know how I get on ....

till tomorrow
                        Jean

Comment

It's a doddle!!!!!....... when you know what you're doing.......lol.

Thank you so much Bee and Elaine....... I'm going back to play.

Jean

Comment

That's great, Jean! Well done.

And I feel chuffed with myself, for being able to help- I'm a bit of a techno-dunce, usually!

Bee.
                            Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

Working...
                            X