My project: Who lived where.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My project: Who lived where.

I am just thinking aloud here but would welcome any comments or suggestions.

I would like to make a sort of family gazeteer of who lived where and when.

Divided by county, then town, then street address etc. It will be simple enough to do this on a spreadsheet, but I would like (if I could) to also include a map and/or a photograph.

Can anyone suggest a way I could do this?

OC

If you used Word you could put your data in a table and then add maps and Pictures etc as well.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I've thought about something similar OC but can't do spreadsheets, never got the hang of them. I'll watch for answers in the hope of picking up some ideas.
      I did think of making some sort of Web page instead. My daughter has made a web page re her Cats and it looks easy enough.
      Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Wendy

I didn't know you could put pictures and maps into Word!!

Geordiegirl

I'd far rather tackle a spreadsheet than a web page, I wouldn't know where to start....

OC

Comment

Word is a word Processing/Desktop Publishing program.

Have a play around with it and see what you can do.
          Wendy

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
            Wendy

I didn't know you could put pictures and maps into Word!!

OC
            Its easy to do OC just click on insert and then picture and away you go you can get the photo from your own files and insert it

I used Word Excell for my college project and had to insert pictures and also graphs to show my findings
            With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

OC I am doing something along those lines in FTM I am going into facts and altering each census year by adding the proper full house address for each person getting tedious but will be woth it when printing out things and transfering gedcoms I hope ;;;fingers X
              borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Well I never knew that!!!!!

Have just put a photo on a word page - thanks for that!!!
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                OCH

I've printed a form on the back of my family group sheet in my consolidation file on which I write - (haven't got into being able to make computer forms) - everywhere a couple have lived.

Top half of page for man - second half for his wife

Event, Date Place, address where born
                Event, Date address where married
                Event, Date address where died

Other events - Dates and other addresses they lived ie on other peoples certificates, ie marriage certificates, death certificates etc

1841 census address
                1861 etc etc
                .................................................. .................................................. .................
                Address of church married in
                Names of witnesses and addresses if given.
                .................................................. .................................................. .................

Then repeated as above for the wife
                Last edited by JBee; 03-02-08, 14:44.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I should like to find some kind of mapping software which produces maps showing where people lived, so you can follow families' migrations, but I haven't found anything yet.

FTM does have a map function, but it doesn't seem to show people's locations on the map, just a map with a list of people below it.

Comment

JBee

I already do that. I wanted something I could look at, to check when a family turn up at an address which sounds familiar - does that make sense?

For instance I have discovered (the long way) that, of two sets of 4 x GGPs, who lived in different counties, each was a servant in the household of the other side's extended family on one census.

I want to be able to find addresses and then compare who lived there and when and who else lived in the same town.

OC

Comment

I'm sure I've come across one but for the life of me cannot remember the site.

Here's a map site that does it but how successfully/simply I don't know.

Wayfaring
                      Last edited by JBee; 03-02-08, 15:09.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Isn't that something you can do with GoogleMaps? Google Maps

It's called "mashing" or something.

You can put those balloons on as markers. What I don't know is whether you can make those markers private or not.
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks JBee and Christine - I had seen that Wayfaring site before, but I guess you'd have to add each person manually, whereas I was hoping to find a program that would do it automatically from a gedcom or similar.

Comment

I think an automatic upload would be very tricky. It's the same problem as HotMatches.

You would have had to have recorded the places in a very strict and consistent way - that was also compatible with the mapping software. About the only reliable thing I could imagine would be latitude/longitude, or OS grid refs. Unless you're extraordinarily conscientious, I suspect that won't have the info recorded in that way?

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Lozaras
                              OC - you can also insert excel spreadsheets into word so you could put ALL your data onto your word doc.

hth
                              Inserting an Excel spreadsheet has to be better than trying to use Word Tables. In my experience so far, they're a nightmare.

Christine

Comment

You would have had to have recorded the places in a very strict and consistent way - that was also compatible with the mapping software. About the only reliable thing I could imagine would be latitude/longitude, or OS grid refs.
                                I'm being careful to record all my place names consistently - not with latitude and longitude, but with names like "Beckenham, Kent, England" and "Sydney, New South Wales, Australia", with no abbreviations.

Comment

Actually, the more I think about this, the less feasible it all is.

I will have to enter everybody on my tree, for every census, birth, marriage and death, which will be a massive undertaking.

It's just that I sometimes think "ooh, someone else lived in Little Mudwick - who was it?" and then spend hours flicking about in my tree trying to find out who!

OC

Comment

It's perfectly possible to list BMD events in your tree by place (PAF, and I think FTM, will do that), but it'd be more difficult to include all census and other addresses too.

Comment

You could do a custom report from FTM which will list for example, Residence and date. I put my census info into Residence, so this would list them with each census date. That way you could look up and see if people lived in the same area.
                                      Last edited by WendyPusey; 03-02-08, 20:41.
                                      Wendy

Comment

OC its easy to do in FTM just go into Edit for each person and under facts I have deleted must and just left census years and added the address and the sam for born at ?? and death at ???. Im hoping that when it prints out reports and gedcoms they are all there ;;
                                        borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Working...
                                        X