Any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any advice?

I am thinking of buying myself a laptop computer and as a complete nunce would value some advice.

I would be using it for my family history stuff in the main, and a bit of surfing the net. So I want to store certificates and photos.

I am looking at using cellular broadband for that as our landline broadband keeps dropping off, and OH works from home so dialup is not really an option.

I am looking at 2 deals which look good to me. Both are 2GB memory and 160GB hard drive, and have Vista.

One has a 14" screen and comes as a package with a multifunction printer, HP 80GB portable hard drive and a wireless mouse. It says it has AMD Turion 64 x 2 dual core mobile technology (1.9 GHZ) and it has 2 years warranty.

The other costs a bit less, has a 15.4" screen and has Intel Core 2 Duo Processor (1.66GHz) and has one years warranty but no extras.

The price difference is about the cost of the multifunction printer, which we don't really need as we have a good printer.

My questions are:

Are these computers powerful enough to do what I want? Or should I scrap both of these and look for something with a bit more ooompf?
    Is Vista OK to use, I seem to remember that there were problems with it?
    Is the larger screen the way to go, given that I don't really need the extras that come as part of the deal with the smaller screen model?

Is there anything else that I need to know????

If I go into a computer shop the lads in there will try and talk me into something I don't need, or confuse me completely!
    Christine
    Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
    Mary Jean Iron

Hi Christine,

I would go for the 15.4" screen with an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor (1.66GHz)

Intel runs much faster than AMD processors on laptops and a bigger screen is a plus

I run Vista on a Packard Bell Desktop so I cant say what it runs like on a laptop, but
    hey it works for me

If you need any more let me know

Clare

Comment

I must say I am leaning towards the Dell model with a larger screen, so the info on the Intel vs AMD is useful, thanks!

Although the warranty is longer on the Compaq, I am a bit concerned about the supplier to be honest, it is not a computer shop as such but an office supply place. I think the computer there with all the add-ons is cheap as a back to school special.

Can anyone tell me, will I need a new printer to run Vista? The Dell website seems to suggest that they have one multifunction printer for windows and a different one to run Vista. We have a good HP 3 in 1 which is about 3 years old and I am perfectly happy with that and would prefer to spend the money on an external hard drive.
      Christine
      Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
      Mary Jean Iron

Comment

Hi Chris,
        If the supplier of the "back to school special" is the same as the one with a name connected to a red barn...then I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole!!!
        I bought a Compaq PC from them a couple of years ago....went armed with list of questions for them and to be honest, they downright lied to me, then would take responsibility for it not being what I asked for. I ended up having to buy extra RAM and a graphics card.
        Worse than that, it comes pre-installed with a lot of garbage, some of it my son & techy both said were actually security risk stuff. It took me about 2 weeks to get it cleaned out & set up as I wanted. I spent heaps of time on the phone with HP (Here & even India!!) before it was sorted. While HP were very helpful and did honour their guarantee (I needed it twice), I wouldn't want to go there again.
        Also, there are no Windows CDs with it, only a restore from D drive, which is a pain, because if I ever need to reformat, I will end up with all that garbage on there again!! :(

I had always had ADM and was very happy with my past machines and that is why I opted for this one over the others. Muggins me!! :D:D

If you do decide to with the Dell, why do you not order direct and ask them about the printer compatability. (You could probably ring them and ask that anyway.)

Anyway...that's my thoughts, but I am not a techy!

Comment

Hi Christine,

To check if your existing printer will work with Vista, check out HP's website
          to see if they have Vista drivers for your printer.

Clare

Comment

Thanks Clare!

And many thanks Lyn, that is exactly the one!! I was already leaning well towards the Dell, and you have just confirmed it for me!! Sorry you had so much trouble with yours, it sounds like a nightmare. I could not cope with all that, the thought of a new computer and a different programme, Vista rather than XP, is enough right now! Any complications and I would probably give up for good!
            Christine
            Mary Jean Iron

Comment

I guess not everyone has that sort of experience with them....some customers must be happy, but I felt like they treated me like a dummy!!! I was so angry, I could have thrown the thing at them.....just didn't because I could stand to be without a puter until I could save another $1000!!! (it was a cash buy, too & I guess I expected better.)
              I have several friends with Dell and they are very happy with their computers & the service.

I don't think I could face Vista, at the mo. It took me long enough to adjust to XP. LOL!! From what I hear, most of the original problems they had with have been sorted and it is looking like a good system. Only a few things left that don't do what they are meant to, but nothing apparently that would be of a worry to computer dummies like me!!!

Hope that you enjoy your new set up.

BTW, why I mentioned asking Dell about your printer...they probably have the drive you need for your printer and should install it for you.

Comment

I suspect that you are not the only one with problems from that supplier Lyn, I have just heard another horror story from a neighbour, so my mind is firmly made up.

Good thinking about Dell and the printer! Why did I not think of that?

Just to make life even more difficult for myself, I went out today and bought an newer version of FTM to load onto my new computer when I get it! It looks a zillion times better than the ancient version I currently have. But it also looks different! Aaaaaahhhhhh!

In about a weeks time, if anyone notices me missing............! :o

But rest assured, I will return

eventually!
                Christine
                Mary Jean Iron

Comment

ohhhh....you are brave...lot braver than me!! LOL!

Comment

Working...
                  X