Birth ref?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth ref?

I am trying to find the birth ref for the 5 month old baby James Wright in West Ham workhouse in 1871. It says he was born Leytonstone. The trouble is that there isn't a birth reference that fits either for James OR Male. Does that make you think that he wasn't registered? I think that Emma Wright, who is also in there aged 22 and unmarried is very likely his mother.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

There's this one:

Samuel James Wright
    Q4
    West Ham
    Vol: 4a
    Page: 68

I can't see a death for this child before the 1871 census and though there are other Samuels listed in 1871 none seem to have been born in West Ham district.

Comment

Thanks Merry - I have made a note of that one. The trouble is that, although I feel sure the one I want is the one in the workhouse, he is James in the workhouse, James H in 1891 with his family and James Henry on his death cert. It is his brother John though who is in the workhouse with him in 1881, John aged 7 and James aged 10. The only James who comes anywhere close is April-June 1870 West Ham but he would he would be older than 5 months on the census wouldn't he.

Maybe his mum changed her mind and didn't like Samuel and he decided to add a Henry to the James. Such a lot of maybes though.

Comment

How do you know they are siblings in 1881?

Comment

I have the birth cert for John (actually John Edward) and he was born in the workhouse to mother Emma. The boys (men) ended up together in Lowestoft in later life. The name Emma featured quite prominently in their lives too.

Also, I can't find a John (John Edward) and an older James (James Henry) both born West Ham, together in 1881. Nor can I find a James OR John with anyone other than parents, in case one was away for the night. According to the 1901 census and their death certs etc James was 3 years older than John.

Comment

OK, so if you know they are brothers and you have the mum's details, such as they are, from John's birth cert and the 1871 census record, I would say don't worry about the missing birth cert! What else is it going to tell you????

Comment

Just to confirm that I have the right John.

Comment

Oh, I see. What did John say about his father on his marriage cert? (if he married). Did he stick with forenames John Edward for all later events?

Comment

John didn't list a father on his marriage cert. On the 1901 census he is just John but John Edward on his marriage cert in 1893.

James was James Henry on his marriage cert and gave his father as James deceased. On the 1901 census he is listed as James but an H has been squeezed above.

Comment

The only James Henry I can see in West Ham in Dec 1870 or Mar 1871 is a James Henry JACOBS, Dec 1870.
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hello Chrissie

In my experience, babies born to the poor were more likely to have their births registered if they were born in the workhouse than out of it - I suppose they were in the system? Some of my poorer ancestors didn't register the births of their children up into the 1880s. None of this helps you does it lol
                      Asa

Comment

Oh that's brilliant Kate - the one in Dec 1870 would fit perfectly. Where did you find that? I sent for the Dec 1869 one but I knew it would be the wrong one as I could see him on 1871 and 1881 census.

Lol David - not a lot)))))))))))))

Comment

I can't find that reference for a dec birth of James Henry Wright in West Ham 1870 Kate. You didn't get mistaken for the one in 1869 did you?

Comment

No, sorry, Chrissie, I didn't explain properly - his surname is Jacobs. Not very likely to be him unless either his father's name was Jacobs or Emma was one of those people who went by two surnames.
                            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                              Oh that's brilliant Kate - the one in Dec 1870 would fit perfectly. Where did you find that? I sent for the Dec 1869 one but I knew it would be the wrong one as I could see him on 1871 and 1881 census.

Lol David - not a lot)))))))))))))
                              Hang on Chrissie, Kite wasn't saying that was the right one, just that it was the only James Henry!

James Jacobs is 5mths and living with his parents in West Ham in 1871

Comment

Oops sorry Kate - I just realised that I had read it wrong. I thought you meant there were two :o

I shall bear him in mind though. Off to see if I can find him in 1871. Thank you.

Comment

Oops again - posted together. That's saved me looking for Jacobs in 1871 Merry - thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                  X