Telegram to Jersey 1943

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telegram to Jersey 1943

I have a telegram sent from England to an address in Jersey in 1942, which I know eventually reached the recipient.

The message is an enquiry as to whether the recipient is still in Jersey at that time, which is what I am trying to find out. There are 3 stamps on the telegram.

1. A picture of a Crown and the words "passed 289" - presumably the message was just cleared in England before being sent.

2. A Red Cross, Geneva stamp (written in French)

3. A stamp saying "Deutches Rotes Kreuz - Briefftempel - Der Beauftragte in Frankreich"

I have been trying to translate the last stamp and come up with "German Red Cross...?.....The Commissiaries in France"

I cannot find out what or where Briefftempel is

Also I wonder whether the telegram was routed through France, or was eventually delivered to the recipient in France.

Any ideas very welcome

Thanks
    Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 02-02-08, 13:52.
    Joan died in July 2020.

Update - I think the mystery word is actually "Briefstempel", which seems to mean letter stamp, but am still puzzled about the "Commissiaries in France"
    Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Presumably, during the occupation, Germany regarded the Channel Islands as part of occupied France?

And I'd assumed that that word was likely to be Briefstempel.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks, Christine

I think that must be right.

So I guess it must be quite possible that the telegram was in fact delivered in Jersey.

Thank you
        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Working...
        X