X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the occupation?

Can anyone read this please?

Catherine Wassell 1851 Stockbridge Hampshire

It looks like pauper stuck in at the beginning and then it's something like Chasewoman?? which could be charwoman of course but doesn't look right.
    Asa

Can make the pauper bit out, but can't de-cipher the next word. sorry

Pam
    Pam

Comment

I think it probably is charwoman

Comment

Thank Pam and Margaret - very hard to decipher isn't it?
        Asa

Comment

There are several words there - I thought it may say Pauper then a ditto for the same as above - out of employ and then I thought it said Laundress and then a last word I cant make out! Sorry, hopeless, every time I look I see something else!

Comment

Thanks anyway Heather: )
            Asa

Comment

Pauper - seems to be consensus, and I'm with the crowd on that one.
              Charwoman - it would make sense, and it's ceratinly a similar shape, but I can't quite make the first bit say "Char" - it looks too much like "Chase" - but what could follow that?

I think the idea that the last bit says "in Employ" is very plausible. There are the right shapes to make "in" and the bit afterwards could be "Employ", very squashed up - as "Pauper" is at the beginning.

Do you have an occupation for her in 1841?

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've answered that for myself - she is there with Edward HULBERT, 70+, (occupation not very readable†, but doesn't match the Ag Lab of other lines), but has no occupation specified for herself.

Christine

† looks like "Arang P"!
                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 02-02-08, 19:01.
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

In my opinion:
                  The first word definitely Pauper.
                  Then it looks like ChareWoman(There is definitely a capital W) And the last bit I think is E'pled (employed??)

Comment

Thank you Lyn and Christine - I think between us all we have it; ) Thank you.
                    Asa

Comment

Working...
                    X