Help with initials and place name please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with initials and place name please

I have a handwritten letter written on 5th August 1947. It bears a red stamp saying "British Red Cross Hospital Section (S.C.F.)"

At the top of the letter it says

"From.- Q.M., 6B.R.C.S.
    To.- The E.I. (?) i/c (?)"

(the ?s are the writer's, not mine)

At the end of the letter, the writer has written after his signature the initials
    "Q.M. B.R.C./H.S.6/S.C.F"

The address of the writer is "Lubeck-Sclutags" ( I think -the last three letters are not very clear)

I think that S.C.F. is Save the Children Fund, but just wondered whether anyone had any idea about the other initials and the place name.

Thanks
    Joan died in July 2020.

Q.M. B.R.C./

could be

Quarter master /British Red Cross
    Jess

Comment

Thanks, Jess - I had thought of Quarter Master, but wasn't sure that there would be any in the Red Cross - actually I guess there could well have been - going to Google

Update - haven't found the answer to that, but am more confused now!

Was the Save the Children Fund part of the Red Cross? - It doesn't look like it!
      Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 02-02-08, 11:39.
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Lubeck is in the Schleswig-Holstein part of Germany

The northernmost border crossing was in Lübeck's district of Schlutup. Source: wikepedia, Lübeck - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Also from Wikipedia Bombing of Lübeck in World War II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 1944 Eric M. Warburg, liaison officer between US Army Air Force and RAF, and Swiss diplomat Carl Jacob Burckhardt as president of the International Committee of the Red Cross declared the Lübeck port a Red Cross port to supply[9] allied prisoners of war in German custody with ships under Swedish flag from Gothenburg which protected the city from further Allied air strikes. The mail and the food was brought to the POW-camps all over Germany by truck under supervision of the Swedish Red Cross and its vice president Folke Bernadotte, who was in charge of the White Buses too.

Comment

I can't see any links for Save the Children Fund with Lubeck. The official SCF website history page just says they worked in France, Yugoslavia, Poland and Greece.

Comment

At the end of the 2nd world war there was a big camp of freed concentration camp prisoners at Lubeck, would they have been there?

Comment

Thank you for all your replies - Barbara, that is certainly a possibilty.

Nell, Schleswig-Holstein certainly fits, as this person married in England about 11 months after the letter was written, and the cert describes him as "Stationed at Schleswig-Holstein" - which presumably suggests he was in the Army - and he is wearing what looks like an Army uniform in a wedding photo- yet I always understood that he was working for the Save the Children Fund, and that is what the initials seem to suggest

Thanks
                Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I realise you had this conversation a few years ago, and so you've probably already discovered this for yourself, but if not... Save the Children ran an orphanage in Schlutup (a suburb of Lubeck) between 1945 and 1948. It was for children who had come through the displaced persons camp in Lubeck, and they were cared for by British nurses as well as nurses from elsewhere in northern and eastern Europe.

People who worked for the Fund did wear a uniform, although I understand at least one member of the Army (a woman, though) was involved with the orphanage.

I'm

Comment

Joan hasn't been on since July Soss, so may not see your post. You could send her a PM (Private Message) by clicking on her name and following the link. As long as she hasn't changed her e-mail address and has her settings to recieve notification of messages she will get an e-mail letting her know that you have sent a message to her.
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                    X