Why did he refuse??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did he refuse??

I have found my gr gr Uncle on the 1901 Census in Craster, Northumberland. He is living with his 2nd wife and his 24 year old daughter.

Under the column for occupation it says "Refused to answer this". I am at a loss as to why he did this... any ideas??

RG13/4842 95 (Robert Russell) If you want to have a look.

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
    Raven's Family Tree

well well lol

Didnt think you were allowed to refuse the info required on a census.

Do you know what his occupation was anyway?

Comment

In three Census he was a Joiner by occupation and in another 2 he was a Clerk of Works in Howick Northumberland. On his daughter's marriage cert he was a Gentleman...lol

I didn't think you could refuse either...lol

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
      Raven's Family Tree

Comment

(If anyone is trying to look at the image , like me, he is transcribed as Robert Russill)

I didnt thinkyou could BUT as he has, presumably you could. nothing entered for wife or daughter either

Your ( or my !) immediate thought was he was either doing something a bit dodgy or was a bit of a rebellious character.

I wonder if he was fined?
        Last edited by Jessbowbag; 02-02-08, 09:31.
        Jess

Comment

that was my immediate reaction Jess... as you say, I wonder if he was fined...

Raven's Wiki Page
          Raven's Family Tree

Comment

I have found an entry for a chap with no name or details, where the exasperated enumerator wrote "very uncooperative. Refused to provide any information".

People did refuse, just as they now exceed the speeding limit or fail to return their electoral roll forms. As to why - maybe he got bored after the questions about name and age, or perhaps he was concealing something illegal. His range of occupations is certainly intriguing!
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I was a census enumerator in 1991 and people refused to fill things in mostly because they didn't think it was anyone's business or because they thought it was the governmet's way of getting their details for the poll tax, which was the major hooha at the time.

I think because censuses are so vital to us we forget that they often mean very little to other people, including those who have to fill them out. Every ten years is quite a gap and a lot of people (when I enumerated) couldn't remember ever doing one before and were very mistrustful.
              Asa

Comment

Working...
              X