• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding a few spouses - Please

Hi Ya
    Trying to tidy my tree, for a GEDCOM upload

Can anyone help me find the surnames of some of these spouses

1. George Smith married Susannah Jane ? between 1861 and 1868 when first child was born, He was from Hemel Hempstead and she for Leighton Buzzard, first child born in Hemel Hempstead Susannah Jane Garrett - Found

2. Christopher Smith married Susannah ? between 1871 and 1881 He was born in Hemel Hempstead, She was born Suffolk, in 1881 they are living in Acton Middlesex

3. George Mackley Allpress married in 1859 in Wandsworth (according to index) but there is only one other person listed and her name is Louisa. on 1861 & 1871 she is listed as Mary A, she died in 1881.Mary Ann Haydon - Found

4. Susan Jane Clymer married in 1861, West London, 2 possible spouses Charles Smith and Charles Ellis, but which one did she marry, I have tried to work it out but my brain isn't working

Thank you
    Last edited by vikki brace; 01-02-08, 18:39.
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

possible for number 2:

SUSAN NICHOLSON Marriage: 28 APR 1873 Saint Peters, Stepney, London, England

its the only susan/susannah i can find.

number 3 taken from IGI

MARY ANN HAYDON Marriage: 05 FEB 1859 Holy Trinity, Clapham, Surrey, England
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thank you Amy

just shows how brain dead I am, Didn't even think to look on the IGI, I think I need to lie down :o
      Vikki -

Comment

You'll have to have a look at subsequent censuses to rule this out - or confirm it - but there is a George SMITH marriage in 1864, Jun Q, in Kensington (1a-30) where one of the brides is Susannah Jane GARRETT. The other two possibles are: Thomas MOULDs and Emily LEWER.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine

I just checked the 1871 census and Thomas Moulds b.1845 has a wife Emily, Eldest child born 1865 and the icing on the cake is sister (in law) Martha Lewer

This is looking good, and Susanna J Garrett b.1846 Bedfordshire is living in Hemel Hempstead in 1861 with her family, so probably met in Hemel.
          Last edited by vikki brace; 01-02-08, 18:37.
          Vikki -

Comment

i only looked on there cos i been trying to tie up a few maiden names as well.
            **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

That's really very encouraging, Vikki.

I wonder why they would have chosen London? They could have been working there; or it might have been easier if there were any issues over age/permissions etc.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by yummy-mummy-of-2 View Post
                i only looked on there cos i been trying to tie up a few maiden names as well.
                Well I am very grateful that your brain is working this evening :D
                Vikki -

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                  That's really very encouraging, Vikki.

I wonder why they would have chosen London? They could have been working there; or it might have been easier if there were any issues over age/permissions etc.

Christine
                  I'm not sure why they married in London, He spent his entire life in Piccotts End, as the Millers son and then took over as the Miller when his father retired,
                  Maybe the she was in service there?
                  Maybe the parents didn't approve?
                  Maybe she was expecting so they ran to London (eloped)?

There are so many posibilities and we shall never know the answer :(
                  Vikki -

Comment

Found them in 1851, transcribed (understandably) as GARROTT, as Leighton Buzzard.

Christine

Comment

I wondered whether there were some big discrepancy in background, but George SMITH was a miller, employing men, and Susanna GARRETT's father was a farmer employing labourers and servants. That doesn't seem to be a huge difference.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                      X