Lost Louisa -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Louisa -

Hi - can anyone help me find Louisa Marsh on 1861 census - she was my Gt.Grandmother - my father never knew his Gr.parents but I know I have the right one as I've purchased my Grandfathers birth cert. and I can link Louisa via census with her husband and family, married name Matthews, or Mathams as shown on census'
    1901 RG13/1669 including my G.Father Charles
    1891 Ref RG12/1384 and
    1881 Reg RG11/1761 also have ref. for marriage cert and birth certs (although as yet can't afford to get these)but the area and dates match, I know Marsh is the correct surname from charles' birth cert. But cannot find any Marshs' (or March and I've tried a wildcard search) to try to trace her family back -
    I also have her in 1871 Ref. RG10/1662 as a servant in Chelmsford area with a man and his 2 children, she married later that year but am trying to find her family so have been looking in 1861 but no luck - any help will be greatfully appreciated - thanks

Hi Gill and welcome.

Could you give Louisa's birth year and place please.

Jackie
    Jackie

Comment

Hi Jackie,

born 1854 Ingatestone Essex - think I have the correct birth entrance shown Q1 of 1854 registered in Chelmsford which makes sense - age fits with all the census.

Thanks

Comment

Hi Gill and welcome to the forum,

Just for Clarity here is this the ref for 1901?

Class: RG13; Piece: 1669; Folio: 126; Page: 4.

Louise b. 1856 and husband James b. 1851 and children

Herbert age 14

Alfred age 11

Charles age 6
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Is this her in 1871 ?
          I can't see one with only 2 children

- Ancestry.co.uk

OK, you were posting as I typed ....

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Hi,

Julie thanks for the welcome - yes that's them in 1901 - other census show different children, as with everyone seems poor lady lost 3 of her older children at various times.

Rachel - again yes - sorry I thought there were only 2 children, she appears to be a servant to man with 3 young children, assume wife dead - going by the birth place and date have assumed this to be her.

thanks

Comment

there is this one

Class: RG10; Piece: 1658; Folio: 152; Page: 17;

With parents Charles and Charlotte MARCH

I have looked for this one after 1871 and cant see them,

But I suspect the only way to be certain would be to order those certs,

- Ancestry.co.uk

Julie

Comment

I can't see her so far but found a birth on FreeBMD ... registered in Chelmsford ... 1st Q 1854

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Hi, no that Louisa is too young - saw them the other day am pretty certain the 1871 census with her as Servant is 'my' Louisa going on birth dates - but know I need to buy the certs, what would be the best one to get first be her marriage to James (as that may show his parent's names aswell) OR her birth cert - what does everyone recommend??

Comment

Rachel - yes that's the one I've found, and am quite happy that's her - as I said right area and dates fit with the later census info. I've already found. So being born in 1854, too late for 1851 census but would have assumed to have found her family somewhere on 1861 -area very rural and she did marry into Ag.Labs/Stockmen so if her family were in same line possible they moved out of area to work for sometime- but I have done a search for Louisa born Ingatestone 1854 but still can't find them on 1861.

Comment

sorry Gill,

my head is still in reverse, I was thinking that was the 1861 i'd found,

apologies :o

I think also that the 71 one you have is correct, re certs, I find that going back in reverse order, helps greatly to pinpoint the correct family.

( I blame this orrid headcold I have)... I will have another look...
                      Julie

Comment

There are a couple of Louisa Nash/s ... but one's born in the wrong area of Essex and the other is aged 10 and it's not a mistranscription

I'm looking with the first 5 letters of her name only .... Louis*

Comment

Nope sorry.... I cant see anything that looks remotely like it

Praps me 'ed is still fuddled
                          Julie

Comment

Julie, thanks for help I've been looking now for about a week - even tried just trawling through ALL Louise/Louisa's, think I may well go for the Marriage Cert. and see what that brings up - atleast it should give me her parents names, and should confirm I'm tracing back the correct Matthews family as will have Gt. Grandad's info. on there aswell - makes me feel a bit less useless to know I'm not the only one who cannot see it straight away - possibly an horrendous mis-transcript when I eventually do find them.....

Comment

Sorry I can't find anyone likely either. There seem to be a few March's from Ingatestone but none that would definitely fit at this stage. No luck at all with Marsh.

I'm in Billericay by the way.

Jackie
                              Jackie

Comment

well yes Gill, the marriage cert will give father's names and occupations and also possible good clues from the witness's,

so yes, marriage cert to confirm the father then birth cert to confirm the MMN (unless is already known, but even then i'd still get it to prove it)
                                Julie

Comment

Hi Jackie, thanks for looking - how funny - I'm in Laindon at the mo. allegedly at work! but was born and now again live in Billericay, so paternal side haven't moved too far have they? - am being a bit lazy at getting over to Chelmford but when I started this lark - for my Mum maiden name I did really well via Ancestry and then we tripped around Cornwall to look at various churchyards and RO - guess as Margaretting and Ingatestone so close am not making the effort I should - -

Comment

I haven't been to Chelmsford RO yet because I don't have any ancestors in Essex before about 1930. Everywhere else in the country it seems (and other countries) but none close to home.

Jackie
                                    Jackie

Comment

I've had a look at the descriptions of the EDs for Chelmsford (1861) ...
                                      District 12 is not there and 5 (I think it was) does not have the description ...

I was hoping Ingatestone would show up somewhere so I could do a trawl through and see if anyone appeared

Comment

Hi Rachel, what I've done is bring up a census I have for village Margaretting in 1851 (one of her husband's side of family) which is the next village along, then at top of search page click onto Essex it gives a list of all towns in Essex, Ingatestone is there, it gives districts 11d and 12c, have just loaded up 11d and def. Ingatestone, so am going to trawl through each of those 22 pages whilst still on lunch! Although IF as I'm guessing she was born in 1854 this is some 6/7 years later and they could have moved around the Essex area - but worth a try - thanks for the idea.

Comment

Working...
                                        X