advice searching parish records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice searching parish records

Soon I will be going to look at Parish Records at Lancashire R.O.,and I am hoping that some of you veterans will cast your eyes over this and let me know if you think if I am being logical and will be looking for the right thing.
    Margaret Cooton married in the Parish Church,Huyton,Lancs1841.Her residence at the time was Tarbock,Lancs.She said she was of full age and no father was named.The 1851 census gives her birthplace as Tarleton,Lancs.
    The other day on Lancs.O.P.C.I found the baptism record for Margaret,bth. date is 7 9 1821,mother is given as Betty Cooton,spinster.Betty has said the father is called Richard,but his name has been crossed out.
    There are several variations on the spelling of the surname.
    I have extracted all the Cootons plus variants and tried to place them in family groups.
    I have looked for all the Elizabeths and Bettys,and found four,then calculated how old each would be in 1821 when Margaret was born.One of these was too old (50),another seems to have died aged 2,which leaves me with Elizabeth Coutain (21) and Betty Cooten(34)
    A Betty Cooten Married Richard(the name crossed out on bap.record) Twist, and went on to have children until 1830.
    This is what I think I have to look for-
    Look at bap. record for Margaret to see if there are any notes in the margin.
    Look at marr.record of Betty and Richard for same reason.
    See if either Elizabeth or Betty married before 1822(B.Ts. available).
    If one did,then the other one is mine-I hope!
    The variants of Cootane,Coutaine etc.only occur between 1800 and 1810.
    I hope that this is not too longwinded for people to read and I will get some replies!will look in later.
    Fran

Yes you seem to have made yourself a list so you will stay focused - its so easy to get distracted in the Archives.

However if it was me I would go through all the years within your range for births, marriages and deaths, noting all the names that come within your interest. Don't try to make sense of them there and then - take them home and work on them like a jigsaw. This will keep you busy and hopefully produce a result in the end.

Many is the time I have got home and cursed myself for not looking that extra couple of years, or not noting down everything just as it is written. You may also find previously unexpected entries.

Hope you enjoy it. Don't fall into my trap and forget to eat and drink and end up with a stinking headache!!

Anne

Comment

I can only echo what Anne has said.

I never (or very rarely!) look up one thing in isolation. If there is time, I go through the whole register and note everything down, not trying to make any sense of it till I get home.

This sometimes takes several trips, but is always worth it. What is of no interest today may be burningly interesting tomorrow!

Also ask if there are any Bastardy Orders for the area covering that time - I did have a quick look on A2A for you, nothing jumping out, but they may not have catalogued them yet.

(Oh, and once you think you have got your rough notes in order, DON'T throw them away! You'll want them again. Also mark down exactly what years you have looked at. You won't be able to remember in six months time whether you missed out 1824 for a reason or not.)

OC

Comment

Anne and O.C.,thank you for your replies.I have taken all your advice on board.
        Fran

Comment

Working...
        X