Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help dating photo please, hoping around 1950

Hi,

I know this is'nt as old as photo's usually posted, but would anyone have any idea what years could be a possibility, i am hoping it is around 1950ish.

I also have the cover it was in, which i will also post, fingers crossed.

Lurkers Club

This is the cover from the photo above

Photographers name bottom right hand corner

Thanks

Lurkers Club

Comment

I wore a similar dress at school about 1959, but they didn't change much in those days.

Comment

Dresses have the obligitory pocket for your hankie

Comment

Hi Mo
          Maybe the nat health specs will help date it
          If it's Ireland, then might the fashion be slightly different ?

Looks like the Duffner Bros are still there ! I just googled them

Duffner Bros Ltd
          40, Clanbrassil Street
          Dundalk, Louth (phone 042 9334105)

If all else fails maybe you could ask them ?

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Margaret,

Rachel, i googled for hours and could'nt get anything, how did you get that?

It was taken in Ireland, and going by my brothers memory.

He was in Ireland with my gran (her father was born there) he remembers three children, 2 girls and 1 boy.
            he was there in 1948 aged 10, he said the older girl was about 3 years younger than him.

We found this photo with grans stuff only last year, she died in 1974, so i'm hoping its the 3 children he remembers,
            he also remembers other little snippets that might help.

Do you also think that this could be the same children. Thanks

Lurkers Club

Comment

I'm useless with ages

I googled :-

Duffner + photographer + Dundalk, Ireland

I can't see an email address for them ...

this is confusing .... it looks as if they are jewellers
              Last edited by Rachel Scand; 31-01-08, 16:13.
              ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Never mind Rachel, i tried in vain all day yesterday to find something, no luck i'm afraid,
                but will keep at it, something might just pop up.

Thanks

Lurkers Club

Comment

I would say the older girl is about 10. The other girl and the boy are similar height so either twins or only a year between them. The boy being slightly younger.

Comment

Thanks Margaret thats what i was hoping, my brother said he remembers the boy was the youngest.

I am hoping through this photo to try and find the area where my G-Grandfather came from, my brother referred to the childrens father as uncle James, they lived on a farm.

We have other little memories from a couple of relatives, but one has now sadly died, but we still may be able to narrow the district down a bit.

Thanks

Lurkers Club

Comment

Maureen

Check out this site. It's a street directory and the photographer is named. A little earlier than you need but it proves it was there

Drogheda town, County Louth, Ireland - Trades Directory, 1931, http://www.from-ireland.net, ©Jane Lyons

Comment

Mmmmn

They seem to be a wedding shop now.

Simply Weddings - Duffner Bros Ltd Dundalk Louth

Comment

Ahh thanks a lot Margaret, i'll look into that after my tea.

Thankyou for taking the time to look

Lurkers Club

Comment

That's the one I looked at before .... it's also listed as a Jewellers
                            All very confusing .... typical of the Irish ! ! ! :D

Comment

Rachel as the link Margaret found Duffner Bros had a photography business and a watch and clock one, both same street, maybe the second one went on to become a jewellers.

I wonder if i wrote to the Jewellers maybe, would they know when it opened and closed as a photographers, i know they are not in the same location, but could be a family thing passed down.

Do you think it is worth a try.

Lurkers Club

Comment

Maureen

Anything's worth trying Maureen. What have to to lose? Nothing!

Comment

Thankyou Margaret

Thankyou Rachel

Lurkers Club

Comment

Can't remember if you've looked on the 1911 Dublin census in case any of your people came from there ?

Louth is quite a long way down on the list of censuses waiting to be done ...

National Archives: Census of Ireland 1911

I found my lot in Dublin quite easily, but there are some nephews with them whose surname I've never heard of .. so I'm stuck again

Comment

Hi Rachel,

Going by older relatives memories, everything points to between Drogheda area to Camlough in the Newry area, the family name is Bennett but that can be found in lots of places in Ireland, my gran who was a Bennett by birth visited Ireland so many times, i thought she was born there, but she was'nt.

My brother has a good memory of the time he went, he remembers getting on a train in Dublin,( sorry he's just said it was a shunt or shunter, not a proper train) and said the journey took about two hours with stops, but how fast did the trains go in 1948.
                                      At the end of that part of the journey they were picked up at the train station by this uncle James in something pulled by a horse, there was a small chapel just past the station called St Patricks he thinks, it then took about ten minutes or so to reach the farm which was surrounded by mountains (most places are in Ireland) in that week they apparently visited other relatives by train having to cross the border at Newry.

Sorry if that was long winded.
                                      Last edited by Maureen M.; 31-01-08, 20:58.

Lurkers Club

Comment

yes 1945/50 my sisters were in dr bernados and wore dresses like that will look to see i think i have picture on photo bucket im the baby 1946 brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
                                        X