Where did they go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did they go?

In 1871 I have my g g grandmother as a visitor with one of her married daughters and family at Stoke Damerel, Devonport
    Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 2132; Folio: 8; Page: 7; GSU roll: 832031

Robert McCrudden Head, 28 Soldier born Scotland Glasgow
    Hannah M wife, 25 born Cornwall St Austell
    Wm H Son 3 mths " " "
    Agnes Northey Visitor 70 Born Devon Tavistock

I have Agnes with another daughter on the next census but I can find no further trace of Hannah Maria, her husband or son. I've looked in Wales and Scotland.
    What would be the likelyhood of them going to Ireland, India or some other country and are there any places I can look?

Any input would be appreciated.
    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

It says Robert is a soldier. Ireland and India seem to be very likely destinations for him.

Have you got their marriage cert? If it mentions which regiment, you might be able to find out where his regiment went after 1871.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I haven't been able to find a marriage for them but am working my way through them again in case I missed it.
      I forgot to add on the 1851 census Hannah M is Adlina H and 61 Adlina a. Her Baptism in 1846 has her as Adelina Anna Maria.
      Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

I've had a look at my Plymouth Marriage Index CDs - which cover post-1837 marriages in a lot of venues (churches and non-conformist chapels) - but was unable to find anything there.

I notice there's a marriage for Hannah Jane Northey in 1863q Redruth - though there aren't any matching names for your man as groom: Samuel Michell and Willing Hosking Stevens.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine, for looking for me. I suppose she might have to remain a mystery for a while longer.
          Daphne

Comment

Northey's From England to Canada

HI Daphne:

I researching the Northey family tree from Canada. I have traced my family back to John Northey abt 1735 married to Margery Unknown abt 1737. They had at lease three children: John (married first Elizabeth Pengelly second Grace Pengelly) - this is my line Thomas (Francis Bickle) Nicholas (Elizabeth Tucker). My Northeys William Pengelly Northey, son of John and Margaret Gordon came to Canada about 1842/1843 and settled in Peterborough/Smith Township area. Just wondering if any of these names sound familiar.

Thanks,

Heather Northey

Comment

Hi Heather, I've replied to your PM to me.

I've heard of the Pengelly - Northey connection but it's not in my line as far as I've been able to tell.
              Daphne

Comment

I have Northey info: Northeys went to Hamilton, Ontario; and to Melbourne, Australia, plus others to Sydney, Australia. Mine have births stated variously as Broadwoodwidger, Cornwall, North Petherwin and Devon.
                Earliest trace is Northey/Eastcott marriage in 1770, then Northey/Blake in 1816.

Comment

Originally posted by Marion MacNally View Post
                  I have Northey info: Northeys went to Hamilton, Ontario; and to Melbourne, Australia, plus others to Sydney, Australia. Mine have births stated variously as Broadwoodwidger, Cornwall, North Petherwin and Devon.
                  Earliest trace is Northey/Eastcott marriage in 1770, then Northey/Blake in 1816.
                  Daphne (geordiegirl) does seem to be around, but not now this minute. If you don't get a response to your post within a few days, it might be worth sending a PM (private message: click on the blue name, and an envelope shows up in the drop down menu that appears), because - depending on her chosen settings - that is likely to send an email to her external address to let her know that you are trying to contact her.

Christine

Comment

Goodness this is an old thread and I'd forgotten about it. I did find out what happened to Adlina, naughty girl that she was. never was married to this first soldier but later married another. I've met up with one of her great grandson's from the actual marriage.
                    Thanks Christine for pointing Marion to sending a PM. I'm out of the country at the moment so the internet is hit and miss for me.
                    Last edited by Durham Lady; 19-01-13, 12:20.
                    Daphne

Comment

Good to know that it worked!

Christine

Comment

Working...
                      X