Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ellerington

Hello all.
    Can I say first off that I am very new and very naive. I also don't spell well and this machine I am sitting in front of is as much of a mystery to me as Quatum Physics is. So please bare with me.
    If I have come to the wrong place to pose my question, I apologise in advance.

OK!

I am researching a friends tree for her. Having done much of my own and a neighbours I find I am hooked, someone only has to mention a name from the past and I am away, like a long dog, searching. So here is my current conundrum.

I have a lady name of Alice M. M. Barette. born in (St Helier)Jersey c.1869. Alice married a Mr. Ellerington (a soldier) sometime prior to 1889 which is when she had her first child, born in Devizes, Wilts.. Second child born 1891, Kildare, Ireland. Then back to St. Helier for two more (1893 & 1895). The fifth and last coming in 1899 while resident in New Swindon, Wilts.

By (according to the census) 1901, Alice is widowed, living in Bristol. Then in 1919 she remarries, what I can only assume to be a relation, one Thomas Alfred Ellerington, still in Bristol.

Now with all this info in the bag it seems pretty straightforward but my problem is I cannot for the life of me find the first Mr.Ellerington's Christian name. It is probably staring me in the face but I can't see it.
    He was known in the family as Fred but as we all know that don't mean that he was Baptized as Fred.

I would be grateful for any ideas.

Regards Janet.

Hello Janet & welcome to FTF, you sound just like me, I often go straight to the computer when friends mention how they don't know anything about their family. lol:D

I can't promise to help as I'm so much slower than most on here but hang around & I'm sure you will get some answers in a very short time!
    Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Hello Janet and welcome to FTF!

EDIT - IGNORE THIS REPLY!

Ermmmmm....I don't know how to break this to you...are you of a nervous disposition, lol?

Possibly the marriage you have found is the ONLY marriage which took place. It is not unheard of for people to marry 20 or 30 years or more after the birth of their children - usually means one or other was already married.

Either the marriage cert, or the birth cert of one of the children will make this clear.

OC
      Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 31-01-08, 13:06. Reason: stupidity

Comment

They could, of course have nipped back to Jersey to marry, one good reason to have not come across it
        Jess

Comment

you have her in the 1871 census i guess

daughter of Rachel, with sibs Douglas & John

RG10; Piece: 5762; Folio: 100; Page: 12; GSU roll: 895832.

1881 dad John is at home, along with a few more sibs

Alice M.M. 12
          Douglas J.J. 11
          Helena A.V. 6
          John 42
          John J.D. 15
          Oliver P.H. 9
          Rachel 42
          Winter D.L.M 1

all got long winded names
          Last edited by Jessbowbag; 31-01-08, 13:05.
          Jess

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
            Hello Janet and welcome to FTF!

Ermmmmm....I don't know how to break this to you...are you of a nervous disposition, lol?

Possibly the marriage you have found is the ONLY marriage which took place. It is not unheard of for people to marry 20 or 30 years or more after the birth of their children - usually means one or other was already married.

Either the marriage cert, or the birth cert of one of the children will make this clear.

OC
            But if he died before the 1901 census as she is a widow on that and the marriage is in 1919 ?
            Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

DOH! Ignore me, I am a stupid old woman, trying to eat toast and post at the same time means I can't read properly.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
                you have her in the 1871 census i guess

daughter of Rachel, with sibs Douglas & John

RG10; Piece: 5762; Folio: 100; Page: 12; GSU roll: 895832.

1881 dad John is at home, along with a few more sibs

Alice M.M. 12
                Douglas J.J. 11
                Helena A.V. 6
                John 42
                John J.D. 15
                Oliver P.H. 9
                Rachel 42
                Winter D.L.M 1

all got long winded names
                Hi Jess, Yes I have all that thanks ( I think mum and dad must have had a book of names. oops) but she, Alice doesnt't show in any census after that until 1901. grrrr.

Janet.

Comment

Originally posted by geordiegirl View Post
                  But if he died before the 1901 census as she is a widow on that and the marriage is in 1919 ?
                  Hello Geordiegirl.

I have no proof that he did die before 1901 other than she (Alice) is listed as a widow. I guess he could have been doing time and her too embarrassed to admit it to a stranger on her doorstep(????)

Janet.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    DOH! Ignore me, I am a stupid old woman, trying to eat toast and post at the same time means I can't read properly.

OC
                    Hi OC.

Maybe not as silly as you think though is it? I have found no record of first marriage or of his death. So its not beyond the bounds of possibility that they were just very good friends. ha ha.

Its certainly a thought.

Janet.
                    PS. I don't think this hobby is for the sqeemish or those of a nervous disposition. Seletons abound don't they. ha ha! J.
                    Last edited by JHSmith; 31-01-08, 14:08. Reason: afterthought!

Comment

Are you trying to do this tree without buying certificates? Because one obvious way to find out the first Mr Ellington's name would be to order the birth certificate of one of the two children born in England. But let's just see if we can get it any other way...
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                        Are you trying to do this tree without buying certificates? Because one obvious way to find out the first Mr Ellington's name would be to order the birth certificate of one of the two children born in England. But let's just see if we can get it any other way...
                        Hello Kiterunner.

The buying of certs would be down to my friend if she so wishes and should I locate their whereabouts I'd give her the option.
                        However, the children, their ages and birth places have all been gleened from the 1901 census as I can find no other reference to any of then elsewhere.

Janet.

Comment

The birth registrations for Annie and Beatrice (spelt wrong on the census) are certainly listed on the GRO indexes. I didn't note down the full details but Annie was Annie Helena Ellerington registered Dec 1889 and Beatrice is Beatrice Rachel Ellerington registered Jun 1899 Swindon. Let me know if you want help finding the full references for them.
                          KiteRunner

Comment

Okay, the GRO Natal & S Africa Forces deaths index, which I presume is the Boer War one, includes an F Ellerington of the 2 Wiltshire Regt. Unfortunately it doesn't give his full name on there.

Anybody know where else to look up Boer War deaths?
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Found a nice page all about him, which hopefully this link will take you to:

View Person

Presumably age at death 0 just means they don't have that info. Unfortunately it doesn't give his full name on there either, just initial F.
                              KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                Found a nice page all about him, which hopefully this link will take you to:

View Person

Presumably age at death 0 just means they don't have that info. Unfortunately it doesn't give his full name on there either, just initial F.

Facinating stuff 'Kiterunner', I am so glad I joined this site.
                                Hopefully this is the guy I seek as it would tie in with Alice being widowed in 1901.

Janet.

Comment

Originally posted by Vivienne View Post
                                  Hello Janet & welcome to FTF, you sound just like me, I often go straight to the computer when friends mention how they don't know anything about their family. lol:D

I can't promise to help as I'm so much slower than most on here but hang around & I'm sure you will get some answers in a very short time!
                                  There's me rude.. Thanks for the welcome Vivienne.

Janet.

Comment

Hello Janet, welcome to FTF.

Have you consulted the GEDCOM to see how many of us are researching SMITHs? You may find a link to someone here, you never know.
                                    Rose

Comment

Working...
                                    X