Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your oldest mother..

Another statistics thread.

Who is your oldost PROVEN mother in your tree?

I was astonished to find a 53 year old woman giving birth. I didn't believe it, however she had only sons and I wondered how likely it would be that grandparents would lie about an illegitimate grandchild belonging to a son.

Cut a long story short - it was definitely her child as she died two days later from "Uterine rupture following parturition".

I have her birth date and baptism date, and she was therefore 53 years and 8 months old when she gave birth to this last child. Ironically, her husband was 23 years older than her, but survived her by almost 20 years.

The baby, a boy, survived and thrived in a household of men, on an isolated farm in the 1800s.

(Oh, amd she was just 13 when she gave birth to her first child, who was illegitimate)

OC

As I've mentioned before, I had one who supposedly had her last child aged 50, which I was slightly suspicious of - her oldest daughter was 25 by then and unmarried, so it's possible he might have been hers. Can't be bothered to search my entire tree for another but the oldest proven one I can think of off the top of my head is 44.
    Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

Comment

oldest PROVEN is 43.

One I need to investigate further was 51, but she didn't have any unmarried daughters of the right age. The child was given her maiden name as his second name, which does make me think its genuinely hers.
      Vicky

Comment

My oldest proven mother was nearly 49 and that in 1954. Mid forties are quite common in most trees I would have thought.
        Asa

Comment

I've never really looked but I know my dad's mum was 47 when dad was born, the last of 13 children and mums mum was 41 when mum was born the last of 14 children. One of my g g grannies was 46 when she had g grandad.
          Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

I can only manage a measerly 48 which was my 3xG Grandmother on my mother's father's side of the family. However the poor lady seemed to be constantly pregnant for 28 yrs! She had her first child in 1803 and her last in October 1831. She died in 1861.

In total she had 15 children 7 daughters and 8 sons. Only 2 children died as infants and they were children 12 and 14 (both daughters). Child 13, a son, died aged 6, and the second born child, a daughter, died aged 17. Her first born (a daughter) died in child birth aged 21 as did her third born having her 5th child. The rest of her children all out lived her and in most cases made old bones.
            Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Oldest proven mother was 42 - my mum.
              Barbara

Comment

Same her - my Mum, aged 42 when she had my brother.
                Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Oldest proven was my paternal grandmother. She was 45 when she had my dads sister.

Average age is 42-43

Comment

You can see why I was so astonished then. Before I discovered her, the oldest mother in my tree was around 46.

I have always been suspicious of any mother over 45 - and rightly so in many cases.

They were Scottish crofters and must have led a really hard life, even for those days. Yet the woman was fully fertile for 40 years! She had the next-to-last child when she was 47.

OC

Comment

My tree program says I have 14 mothers over 45, but most of those are 46! I have two that are 48, but they are not exact as I am working from baptism dates for both their last children and for the mothers too.

So, no mothers of over 50 years out of 6,000 people on my tree.

Comment

Just to confirm that it was common for older "mothers" to pass off a daughter's illegitimate child as hers - I have a case like this in my tree, where a g.g. uncle & aunt have the youngest "son" on the census yet the mother would have been in her fifties when he was born.

The birth cert confirms that he was born in the workhouse to the eldest daughter, lol!

Joanie

Comment

I have an interesting one of these!!!

A 48 year old mother - named as mother on birth certificate, and her husband as father ............... but in the next census, the son is with their eldest daughter (who has married in the meantime) and is down as her son!!!!
                          (Her parents were still alive then).

Talk about making your life complicated, lolol

Comment

I've caught quite a few out by comparing baptisms to registrations!

OC

Comment

My husband's grandmother was 52 and 8 mths when the last of her 13 children was born.

She was 30 when she got married, the last 4 children were born at 2 yr intervals and the story is that one of the later ones weighed 14lbs ouch!!!

She lived to be almost 90 so obviously didn't do her too much harm.
                              Christine in Portugal

Comment

Emily Maria Haines (Nee Allpress) born 1822 died 1864 1 week after giving birth to last child - age 42

Sophia read (Nee Haines) born 1796 last child born 1839 - age 43

Sophia Rogers (Nee White) born 1879 last child born 1922 (Twins) age 43

I have a few more 40's but nothing above 43 - Yet
                                Vikki -
                                Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

I have been led to believe that women become quite fertile just before the change.
                                  Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

OC

You probably have the prize for the mother with the biggest gap between eldest and youngest child!

I have several mums who gave birth aged 46 in my and husband's tree. After that they often died of exhaustion!
                                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Yes, 46-ish seems to be the usual cut off point in my tree too.

My 2 x GGM didn't marry till she was 39 and then had five children! Good job she didnt marry at 16.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Pippa Doll View Post
                                        I have been led to believe that women become quite fertile just before the change.
                                        higher incidence of twins in older mums too.

I have 2 sets born to mums in their 40's. (same line, though the twins didn't themselves go on to have twins)
                                        Vicky

Comment

Working...
                                        X