Dying in the Workhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dying in the Workhouse

If someone died in the workhouse between 1841 and 1851, would the workhouse of registered the death or were they just as likely as the rest of the population not to bother, if you know what I mean

Thanks
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Vikki,

I have a few that died in the Workhouse, and generally someone at the Workhouse registered the Death.

Comment

Most deaths were registered (when compared with birth reg %) and workhouses were usually more vigilant than most, so I would have expected the death to be registered. However, mistakes do happen, so maybe occasionally a WH death might not be registered, or the registration might not have found its way to the GRO.

Comment

In my experience, the most usual reason for not finding a death between two censuses, is that the person was still alive at the second date!!

Comment

Thanks Simon and Merry

This is my David Titchmarsh (or other interesting variation), in 1841 at Royston union workhouse, vanishes from that point. His brother James is still there is 1851 and I have traced him through to his death, but David is proving to ba a pain in the .........Erm.......Ah.....Neck
          Vikki -
          Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

I had an ancestor die in Rotherham Workhouse in Jun 1838 - her death was registered in July 1839, by her brother, who was also a Workhouse inmate. (The certificate doesn't say he was her brother, but I know he was, if you follow me)
            Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Working...
            X