Ideas please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas please

Where do I go next with this? Or do I just give in gracefully and wait 20 years until I'm retired before I go looking:(

I have found someone in Wakefield Prison in 1901. I have no idea why he is there or when he went in, which is the information I'm trying to find.

WYAS have suggested that I find out when he was committed and they will then check the quarter sessions and/or details of prison admissions which they hold for me. These are not indexed so they can't do a blanket search.

He was living in a village outside Barnsley in 1891, and his wife is still there in 1901. He married in 1891.

I've tried emailing Barnsley library and asking if a search would be possible through the local newspapers from 1894 to 1901. Again they say these are not indexed so they do not have the time or resources to search but if I could give them a specific date they would check. Alternatively I'm welcome to visit.

I live 50 odd miles away from both Barnsley and Wakefield and work full time so going in person is quite awkward. From the sound of things a search would be time consuming so asking someone else to look is not realistically an option.

I've tried googling, and searching the blacksheep index but not having any joy with either. Is there anything else I can try online?
    Last edited by Barbara Dodds; 31-01-08, 10:53.
    Barbara

PS - I think I've asked a similar question before, asking which quarter sessions to look at for another inmate of Wakefield Prison. I was told then to look at the sessions nearest to where the event took place. I'll do that when I work out how to find where the crime was committed
    Barbara

Comment

It won't answer your question, I imagine, but this site may provide an interesting interlude:
      www.wakefield.gov.uk: The story of Wakefield Prison & the origin of a nurser...

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Or can this group help you:
        Wakefield & District Family History Society

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine

I've tried the family history group and they can't offer any ideas either. The prison site does look like an interesting read though.

Thanks
          Barbara

Comment

I suppose it isn't as simple as looking at his wife on the 1901 census and seeing how old her youngest child is?
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Kite - I must admit I hadn't thought of that:o

but

she is living with his nephew in 1901 and they claim to be man and wife. The nephew has the same surname so it would be impossible to tell which child was who's without all the birth certs
              Barbara

Comment

Tom

Thank you for your very kind offer. If you feel like it:

This is what WYAS said to me

We do hold records for Wakefield Prison here under the reference C118, however the survival of records prior to the prison being taken over the by Home Office in the 1870s is comparatively poor. We do have a good set of records covering the 1901 period.

However, the registers above are not indexed, and although someone may be in prison at the time of the census it cannot be said for certain that they will appear in the register covering 1901 – although sentences tended to be comparatively short in comparison to today, it could still be a very lengthy process to find an individual entry

The name was Morris or Maurice Copley. He's in His Majesty's prison, Wakefield see RG13; Piece: 4286; Folio: 170; Page: 21

Please don't spend too long on this though
                Barbara

Comment

I would guess if he was in Barnsley 1891 and his wife was still there 1901 that he would have committed his crime in that area, especially as Wakefield is just up the road from there. Where did they marry and what was his job?
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

If you can't get to Wakefield, can you get to Kew? They have a series HO 140 "These "after-trial" calendars are lists, for the most part printed, of prisoners tried at Assizes and Quarter Sessions. They include the following information: number; name; age; trade; previous convictions; name and address of committing magistrates; date of warrant; when received into custody; offence as charged in the commitment (includes name of victim before 1969); when tried; before whom tried; verdict of the jury; sentence or order of the court.
                    Arrangement The calendars are arranged yearly, and then alphabetically by county and chronologically within county."

source: Detecting your browser settings

Comment

Thanks for that Nell, it certainly looks interesting.

Morris Copley married Beatrice Norah Ward in Rotherham reg district q2 1891. He was a coal miner.

Edit: he was in Rotherham at the time of the 1891 census, but again not far from Wakefield
                      Last edited by Barbara Dodds; 31-01-08, 10:54.
                      Barbara

Comment

Well Rotherham is v. close to Barnsley, isn't it?

Comment

Yes it is

and that information at Kew may just help me for the other criminal I've found in OH's tree too
                          Barbara

Comment

Working...
                          X