Laws of Bermondsey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laws of Bermondsey

I seem to be going round in circles with this lot, and getting nowhere. Perhaps somebody with a fresh look at it can sort them out!

In 1851 we have this family at 13 Webb Street, Bermondsey (Surrey / London):HO107; Piece: 1562; Folio: 415; Page: 25
    William Law Head Mar Leather ?????????? Surrey Bermondsey
    Charlott Do Wife Do 49 Do Newington
    James Do Son U 22 Boot Blocker Do Bermondsey
    Charlotte Do Daur U 20 Furrier Do Do
    Thomas Do Son 16 Errand Boy Do Do
    Lavinia Do Daur 9 Do Do
    Richard Do Son 5 Do Do

(Can anybody read William's occupation?)

In 1841, Charlotte senior was in St Mary Magdalene Bermondsey workhouse, presumably about to drop with Lavinia who was baptised 7 Jul 1841, and William, James, Thomas, Charlotte jr and Isabella / Arabella age 3 were in the Bermondsey Merton Establishment (seems to be an out-of-town workhouse for people from Bermondsey, and it lists what work they had to do, even 6-yr-old Thomas was a "picker", though the 3-yr-old is listed as "infant")

There were two older girls baptised 29 Nov 1826 at St Mary Magdalene Bermondsey - Rosella or Rosetta (there are different transcriptions!) and Elizabeth. Probably twins but maybe not. Arabella / Isabella was born 15 Sep 1837 baptised Arabella Davies Law 6 Oct 1837 at St George the Martyr Southwark and birth reg as Arabella Davis Law.

This family have a habit of starting off with middle names but never using them again, although James kindly kept his (Bristow), so I have managed to follow him through the later censuses - he moved to Northampton and had lots of kids, and I think became a Baptist as his later kids seem to have been baptised as each one reached the age of 16.

But what happened to all the rest of them? I have a possible for Thomas in Islington in 1871 but can't find this lot on any other census to check (except for a possible for Alice in 1881 who is a servant so not much help):
    94 St James Rd
    Thomas Law Head Mar 38 Drover Dockhead
    Susan Do Wife Mar 28 Midx Tottenham
    Alice M Do Daur 6 Do Holloway
    William T Do Son 8 Do Do

(Dockhead is in Bermondsey)

And a Rosetta K(ennedy) Law turns up in Croydon in 1881 with a sister whose age is quite wrong for Lavinia and a mystery nephew (or "nephew in law" in 1891):
    Rosetta K Law Head Unm 52 Pawnbroker Middlesex London
    Lavinia E do Sister do 48 do do
    Robert H do Nephew do 32 Pawnbroker's Assistant do do

In 1891 and 1901 she and Robert are still there, but not Lavinia. They give their birthplaces as London St George in the East for Rosetta and London Islington for Robert on the 1901.

What a muddle! I've lost most of them and the ones I've found, apart from James, I can't work out if they're the same people or not!
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

I've only read the first bit of your message so far, but I think his occ is warehouseman (with the "an" missed off!)

Comment

Thanks for that bit, Merry. It's nice to see them moving out of the workhouse rather than into it like so many other families, isn't it? Though I haven't managed to work out why they were in the workhouse in 1841 as Charlotte senior was supposed to have inherited money etc from a couple of people...
      KiteRunner

Comment

Sorry, I read your title & was immediately transported to the Ealing comedy, 'Passport To Pimlico'.:D
        Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

me too Viv! I thought it was an illusion to the law of sanctuary - in that Bermondsey was well known for the influx of law breakers who if they got across the thames would then claim sanctuary in Southwark Cathedral!

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
            me too Viv! I thought it was an illusion to the law of sanctuary - in that Bermondsey was well known for the influx of law breakers who if they got across the thames would then claim sanctuary in Southwark Cathedral!
            Glad it wasn't just me Heather, I felt a bit guilty(for laughing) when I read what it really meant.
            Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

*slaps Viv and Heather*

Expect you have this:

Death Reg
              Charlotte Law
              Q3
              St Olave Southwark, Surrey
              Vol 1d
              Page 36

Comment

I must admit I did name it that because I thought it might attract more notice than if I called it "Help find Charlotte and William's family" or something like that.

Oh, Merry, I hadn't seen that one. Thanks for that. I thought Charlotte was mentioned in a will that was from a later date than that.... have to hunt through my collection of wills to check now...
                KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                  I must admit I did name it that because I thought it might attract more notice than if I called it "Help find Charlotte and William's family" or something like that.
                  It didn't work for me, as I've never heard of Passport to Pimlico! However, I still can't find them!

Comment

The person whose will she was mentioned in died in 1859, but I have to find it to check when it was written. I suppose the 1852 death could be Charlotte junior, though.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Finally found it under a big pile of wills. It was written in 1851, so it could be that she never got round to changing it after Charlotte died - she was only leaving her 19 pounds and 19 shillings anyway. I do hope they gave the money to Charlotte's children!
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                      X