Is it possible to be baptised twice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to be baptised twice?

I have details from baptisms at Kirkburton, Huddersfield which contain the following.

Aaron Smith 6 Sept 1788 father Aaron abode Grange
    Aaron Smith 15th Nov 1788 father Aaron abode Thunderbridge

Grange is a collection of a few houses in Thunderbridge which itself is only a few houses.

There are no more baptisms for children of Aaron, Thunderbridge but a few for Grange.

There is one for an older Aaron 10th March 1748/49 father Robert abode Grange.

My problem is my Aaron was buried 17th June 1849 age 60.

I would appreciate your thoughts please as to whether there was only 1 Aaron. I did think that maybe one was a birth date and the other baptism but the original registers show them both as baptisms.

I can find no trace of another Aaron born 1788.

Thanks
    Christine in Portugal

Have you checked the burial records? 1st Aaron might have been baptised whilst his mother was pregnant....then died.....then new baby was named for him.

Or......are their any private baptisms listed in the register? If not, were other children apparently baptised twice? Maybe the first is the baptism (private....ie at home) and the second is a welcome into the church......strictly this shouldn't be in the regiister, but who knows what any individual vicar chose to write down! Sometimes you can tell by looking at the overall picture.

Comment

Christine, could it be that the first one was a private baptism (done at home, usually if the baby was ill and needed baptising quick in case he / she died) and the second one when he was "brought to church"? In which case, the second one wouldn't exactly be a baptism, but a lot of PR's do include both events.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

There don't appear to be any other children baptised twice and I haven't checked the burial registers,I have details from NBI wich show a Aaron Smith at Kirkburton 1809 no age given.

As you will appreciate I can't check the originals myself so don't know where to go from here, apart from visit to Huddersfield

The witnesses on my Aarons Marriage details don't give any clues as they weren't family members.

Thanks
        Christine in Portugal

Comment

I have just checked the baptisms again and discovered there was another one listed twice for the same family and not given as a birth date.

Sarah Smith 7th April 1777 father Aaron abode Grange
          Sarah Smith 27th May 1777 father Aaron occ Clothier mother Sarah (mellor) abode Grange

But as you will see these both have the same abode.
          Christine in Portugal

Comment

Keep looking then! The more you can find like this the better you can support the argurment that there is only one child in each case.........

Comment

There are just the 2 out of 8 children.

Thanks for your ideas
              Christine in Portugal

Comment

One of my 2greats grandmas appears to be baptised twice. There was one church but it was on the border of 2 counties. Both counties fought over who the church really belonged to so she appears on the IGI for both counties but it was the same church. Could it be something similar in your case?
                Kit

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Portugal View Post
                  There are just the 2 out of 8 children.

Thanks for your ideas
                  Don't forget to look at other families too!

Comment

I have one where the child was baptised in a Non conformist Church and then again in an Anglican possibly to qualify for poor relief. A possibility in your case??
                    Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                      Don't forget to look at other families too!
                      Will do.

This was the same church Sue.
                      Christine in Portugal

Comment

Yes, I have seen this before. One particular family went to a tiny little chapel of ease. This chapel reported to a slightly bigger chapel, which reported to the parish church which reported to the mother church!

This meant that there were three lots of reports flying around between the various establishments and lots of them got duplicated, with wrong dates etc.

It is very worrying when you first meet it, but I was able to sort it out eventually, mostly thanks to MIs, and confirm it was only one lot of children living in one place.

Do you have an LDS family history centre near you, Christine? If so, you could borrow the film and see what goes on.

OC

Comment

My gg-gm Elizabeth Manning was baptised twice - first on 20-Apr-1834, then again on 11-May of that year. Both entries are in the same church, in fact they are on the same page in the register. Interestingly, her mother was buried on the same date as that of Elizabeth's first baptism. This leads me to believe that her mother died in childbirth, and maybe Elizabeth was not expected to live either, hence a rushed baptism at the same time as her mother's funeral. Then just 3 weeks later when it was apparent that the baby would live, she was re-baptised, this time "properly". Of course this is pure speculation as I have no other evidence (it was before civil reg so no birth or death certs), but is the best explanation that I can come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                            Yes, I have seen this before. One particular family went to a tiny little chapel of ease. This chapel reported to a slightly bigger chapel, which reported to the parish church which reported to the mother church!

Do you have an LDS family history centre near you, Christine? If so, you could borrow the film and see what goes on.

OC
                            I don't think that this would have been in a chapel of ease as the area is very close to the parish church but I could be wrong.

There is an LDS centre quite close, but it's not open very often.
                            I have all the transcribed baptisms 1711-1837 and someone has very kindly checked the registers at Huddersfield library.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.
                            Christine in Portugal

Comment

I have two instances in my family of double baptisms, both in the early part of the Nineteenth Century. It really confused me but someone on here suggested it may have been to receive poor relief from the parish.

Comment

Working...
                              X