The Future of the Census in UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Future of the Census in UK

I know how much I have relied on the past censii as a tool for tracing my ancestors, what will our descendants do?

Nation on the move signals end of census - Times Online

I would imagine that other records will come on line to help fill the gaps, such as tax records, voters rolls etc. But nothing to show a whole family together.

OC

Comment

Presumably no-one's intending to end civil registration, which has the advantage over censuses of not having the 100 year closure on the records - but obviously that doesn't show the family together either.

Then again, given the massive increase in interest in FH research over the last few years, there's a strong chance that anyone in a few decades' time wishing to start researching their family will find that a parent or grandparent has already done most of it for them!
      Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Presumably no-one's intending to end civil registration, which has the advantage over censuses of not having the 100 year closure on the records - but obviously that doesn't show the family together either.

Then again, given the massive increase in interest in FH research over the last few years, there's a strong chance that anyone in a few decades' time wishing to start researching their family will find that a parent or grandparent has already done most of it for them!

Very true Michael! Just wouldn't want to start fom scratch.
        With MMN added to birth reg, it may be easier to fit together families that stay in the same area, especially with less common names. On the other hand, the mobility of peeps these days could make even that fairly hit & miss.

Comment

It's going to be sooner than you think as there was no census in 1941. There's going to be a lot of frustrated people waiting for the 1951 census to be released!
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Well things have certainly changed from 1842-1901 to 2011. Do you have a basement? What a question.
            Kit

Comment

Keldon

No 1931 census either!

1921 is the last I can possibly hope to see as I shall be pushing up the daisies by 2051, or certainly far too gaga to do anything with it!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

So we will all be "gateway ancestors" LOL:D

Comment

I expect they will find other data to help sch as "lost" discs containing names, addresses, bank details lost by the government. Ditto driving licences and other material kept by the State about us!
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Fortunately most of my relatives born between 1921 and 1951 are still alive, so even if I don't see them on a census for a while (I'd hope still to be around by 2052, although given some of the stupidly dangerous things I get up to it's entirely possible that I'll manage to do myself in well before that) I'll have got most of the information from them directly.
                    Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

Comment

Working...
                    X