Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New eye's please....

Hi all,

Need help to find Hugh Brownlie in 1841/51. I have him on all other cen's.

this is him in 1861

Hugh Brownlie
    born c1836
    Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Address: 23 Dempster St
    Occupation - House Painter

Household Members
    Cathrene Brownlie 2
    Hugh Brownlie 25
    Janet Brownlie 20

His parents on his death cert 1910 were James Brownlie and Mary Brownlie (Mc ????).

Regards

Lynne
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 29-01-08, 20:05. Reason: copyright

In Ancestry 1851... looking for BRODLEY (1838, James & Mary) - or, possibly VEROWNLIE (1836, James & Marion)

Both look like potential mistranscriptions &/or variants

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I think the BRODLEY family in 1851 are BROADLEY in 1841 - and 1838 is still the birth year estimate. The 1851 youngster is a "scholar" and his father a labourer.

I notice that, in 1851, the 15-year-old Hugh Verownlie is an apprentice painter, son of a joiner.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine,

Thanks for your time.

I think you may have something with the Verownlie's.

Hugh was a house painter......his father a joiner!!

Off to have a closer look.

Comment

Looked!

And yes i think it is him with his father.........I dont think that is his mother though going off his age and the place of births!.

Thanks once again Christine.

Elain....Spain Sorry wo'nt do it again!

Comment

Do you have access to the census images? I can vaguely imagine how a curly-script "B" might get interpreted as "Ve".

Christine

Comment

Christine,

It says BROWNLIE,

Have found Marion Brownlie on 1861 back in Lanarkshire without James.

Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for letting me know, Lynne. It's pleasing to think I've been able to help out a bit!

There's a certainly a larger age-difference between James and Marion than is absolutely conventional - but small enough not to be ostentatiously different. That is - it's not difficult to see Marion as a second wife.

Christine

Comment

Well you made my day!

Off to bed now.......but will start again tomoz.

Try to find marriages and births........must be mad!!

Good Night

Lynne

Comment

Hugh Brownlie - James and Marion

Hello Lynne, I've just found your threads re Hugh Brownlie.

James and Marion Brownlie (nee Burns) were my Great Great Great Grandparents. I know that his son Hugh was living with them - but was never sure if he was Marion's son.

Other children James and Marion had were Flora (Gt Gt Grandmother, married David Weir) born 1848, Greenock, Margaret born 1850, Marion born 1852 and Jemima born 1855.

I'd be interested to hear if you have learnt anything else about them or if you think I could help you :0)
                    Thank you
                    Elizabeth
                    Last edited by KiwiWeirMcKenzie; 12-01-09, 22:06. Reason: Added photo of Flora Weir (nee Brownlie) to my name

Comment

Working...
                    X