Ancestry trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry trees

Has anyone got theres on ancestry and how do you update it please?

Ive been reluctant to add mine but the last few days Ive had no less than 6 good contacts from there - oh and today, more pics and a newspaper cutting with my rellie accompanied by "Prince" George taking a tour of his boiler making factory (my rellies, not Prince George's). Brilliant stuff.

So who has one on there and how do you update when you have more stuff on your tree please. Or is it like the rotten system on familysearch where you submit yet another one every time?

I have a tree on Ancestry. I'm not sure what you mean

I just go to 'My Ancestry' and add any new names
    Last edited by Pat Hope; 29-01-08, 00:05.
    PAT

Comment

Pat, so you cant upload a whole ged com every time, say like on here or genes? You have to add it all manually?

Comment

I uploaded my tree from GR originally but now I add names as I find them.
        PAT

Comment

Go to 'My Ancestry' and it tells you how to upload a gedcom
          PAT

Comment

yes Heather you can upload a gedcom into it quite easily

Comment

Heather so the way I read it is you have a tree on there, if so and your wanting to add a updated gedcom it will make a separate new tree ;;;if you have invited people to view the tree you have on there you would need to send new invites for them to view the newer tree;;
              Other thank that you would have to add it all manually like others have said ;;;
              borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Heather

Just make sure you keep it a Personal Tree not Public.

Maggie

Comment

So you could end up with a dozen trees on there because each time you upload a gedcom it doesnt overwrite the old one - thats what Im asking (oh dear, am I getting old and confused/confusing?)

Say today I uploaded my family tree maker gedcom to ancestry.

Tomorrow someone sends me a whole 1901-1841 census info plus bmds on one of my people - I add that to my family treemaker.

Now, on here or genes or my homepage, Id simply create a new gedcom including all the updated stuff from my family treemaker program and upload it overwriting the out of date one on here or my homepage or GR.

On familysearch you cant do that (I found to my shame) and you just have to upload a new one every time - so you end up with lots of files on there. And it sounds like thats also the case on ancestry - which is a great shame.
                  Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 29-01-08, 08:51.

Comment

I can't help with ancestry, Heather, because I've never tried to update mine since I loaded it, but what you say about familysearch explains why there are so many identical submitted entries for some names, doesn't it? I've always wondered about that! I can never remember which type of ancestry tree is which, but I know that on some of the tree searches it tends to come up with loads of identical entries too, so I wouldn't be surprised if you have to add a new tree every time.

Looking at the options you get on ancestry to manage a tree, it doesn't seem to have the option to upload a replacement gedcom, but you can delete it, so it may be that the nearest thing you can do is delete your old one and load your updated gedcom to a new tree. But of course then you would have to re-invite anybody who you invited to view the old one.
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Mmmmm, Since I've had my tree on Ancestry I tend to use that as my main family tree program, do all my editing on there, then at intervals upload the Ancestry tree to FTM on my computer. I find Ancestry so easy to use, I just prefer to work that way round.
                      Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

click on my ancestry,then click mange my tree,then click update and you will see date change as it does it brenda xxx

Comment

HI
                          I up load and down load that tree all the time it was not very big (getting bigger though now ) I thought it just overwrites the old one

Laura

Comment

Well, Ive noticed one chap has 6 trees on there so may be you cant overwrite.

Comment

funny that I still have the one oh well never mind

LOL
                              Laura

Comment

Ive uploaded it now anyway but its got all these little green leaves on the names and when I click it just gives me the census info I have already and asks if I want to add it - hmm

Comment

I only just found out Heather when I uploaded a new gedcom all my photos and stories on it disappeared oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh
                                  Dont say I have to put them on again ???????????????

Comment

I have none on there Val, I thought they would go over with the file but apparently not! I think you have to change the type of file or something dont you?

I have just put in a search of the trees on there but my stuff isnt coming up. Ive said I dont want it open to everyone but it should be coming up with just the names shouldnt it?

Comment

I seem to remember reading somewhere that once you put your tree on Ancestry the names stay in the database forever, even if you delete it - is that right?

Comment

Dont know Mary - Ive taken the chance because Ive had such fab contacts through the trees on there this week - on three different lines. Beautiful pics, new info, well pleased.

Comment

Working...
                                        X