St Peter's Collegiate Church, Wolverhampton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Peter's Collegiate Church, Wolverhampton

Why did OH's rellies shy away from their local C of E church at Wombourne, Staffs (St Benedict) in order to get married at the above church? It's only about 5 miles away, but even so........

Is there something special about a collegiate church?

I don't think ALL the bride's were pregnant!!

Collegiate churches were usually "peculiars" who were outside the normal C of E rules.

A "no questions asked" policy for marriages and you didn't have to call banns if you didn't want to.

Ideal for underage couples and or bigamists and those on the run for some reason or other.

They reported directly to the Crown and were outside the jurisdiction of the Bishops and Arch deacons etc.

OC

Comment

Ah, several couples were underage!! That probably explains things

Thanks OC

Comment

Merry

you could google just to check, of course!

Most peculiars have nowadays been taken under the umbrella of the C of E and obey the rules!

OC

Comment

Merry, I also have several marriages that took place there of relatives who came from several miles away. Seemed odd to me too: )
          Asa

Comment

Hi Merry
            I don't know how relevant this is, but in the early to mid 1800's I think St Peter's was virtually the only church in Wolverhampton. They had a church building boom about 1840/1850 because the population was increasing at an astounding rate. I have noticed in my husband's tree that he has a lot of ancestors from surrounding areas married at St Peter's - perhaps it was fashionable at the time! It would have been quite an imposing church as it is on a hill in the town centre. It is dwarfed now by modern buildings, but in the 1800's it would have been visible from quite a distance. Perhaps the couple lived in Wombourn but worked in Wolverhampton, and the idea of that church appealed to them.

Just googled St Benedict's and guess what - the medieval church was demolished and rebuilt in 1840 as it was too small! As the marriage took place in Oct 1839, then perhaps the building was dangerous or they had already started demolition.
            Last edited by Helen Henderson; 29-01-08, 09:06. Reason: additional info
            Helen
            Support the S.O.P.H.I.E. campaign, Stamp Out Predudice Hatred + Intolerance Everywhere.

Visit the website at http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/index1.html

http://www.illamasqua.com/about/sophie/

Comment

My gg grandparents married at St. Peters in 1829. and we did'nt know why, as there was a closer church in Sedgley, Staffs.
              OC's explaination makes sense as l think their first born (my g grandad) was born before marriage

However the collegiate is a beautiful and imposing church. Also some of their records are on line
              Pam

Comment

Working...
              X