Message re Times Archive from Beds libraries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Message re Times Archive from Beds libraries

Just had an email from Bedforshire libraries. I have enjoyed looking at the Times Archive - its sad they can't do it any more, specially since all my father's side of the family lived in Bedfordshire from 1690 until 1960! I guess I'll have to find another route. Can you do it from any library - eg one here in Carlisle? I never bothered to find out because it was so easy to go via Bedford online :p
    Anne

Unfortunately we have to inform you that from Monday 4th February you will no longer be able to access The Times Digital Archive, InfoTrac Newspapers Magazines and Journals and the Gale Virtual Reference Library. This is because it has been brought to our attention that we were in breach of our licensing agreement with Cengage, the supplier.

If you are able to visit a Bedfordshire library you can upgrade your membership, collect a library card and regain access to all the above resources. Find your nearest Bedfordshire Library here:
    Library Index - About Bedfordshire Libraries - Bedfordshire's Virtual Library

If you are unable to visit a Bedfordshire Library you can still access the following online resources:
    - Encyclopaedia Britannica
    - Credo Reference - Over 150 online reference books, including a crossword solver
    - Oxford English Dictionary
    - Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
    - Oxford Reference Books
    - Marketline - Business information
    - Learning Topics - Online IT tutorials

My apologies again for the reduction to this service. If you would like to comment on this please reply to this e-mail and we will forward your response to Cengage.

Yours sincerely

Andy Baker
    Library Resources Manager

Oh no! Let's hope someone can find another link.

I blame Uncle John! :D:D:D:D
    Elaine

Comment

Are you a member of your local library. Here in Suffolk I just key my library card number in and I can access it.

Comment

Sue - what about all of us overseas members! :(:(:(
        Elaine

Comment

I always wondered how long they would get away with it, to be honest. Not surprised they have been stopped.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

What a shame!

My library does not offer access:(
            Gillian
            User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              Sue - what about all of us overseas members! :(:(:(
              Sorry Elaine, don't know the answer.:(

Comment

I believe that some overseas libraries do offer access to the Thomson Gale databases. (I think I saw it mentioned online as one of the members' resources in a USA library, for instance.)

Perhaps it would be worth having a look around in such directions?

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I received that email too. What a shame.
                  Rose

Comment

Noo!!

Comment

*wails loudly*

Nooooo!!!!! I use it all the time :o :o :o

Comment

I haven't had the e-mail though. I wonder if that's significant, or they just haven't got around to it?

Comment

Mine's only just come through Mary.

I can't get on to the Beds. Times online tonight - presumably everyone is frantically looking up while they still can.
                          Gillian
                          User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

I expect so, I've just been on myself

Comment

Me too! :D

Comment

Huh!! :(
                                Caroline
                                Caroline's Family History Pages
                                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Sorry to have been the bearer of bad news, folks. I haven't yet investigated to see if Carlisle library will do it. They are pretty good so I hope so.
                                  Its not such good news for all you people abroad though :(

Like Kite I did always wonder how they got away with it!

Anne

Comment

I wonder if Bedforshire Library service realised that they had more members than people living in Bedfordshire?
                                    Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

I can view it from Manchester Central Library

Manchester City Council - Manchester City Council - Information - Community and living ...
                                      PAT

Comment

Originally posted by Pippa Doll View Post
                                        I wonder if Bedforshire Library service realised that they had more members than people living in Bedfordshire?
                                        Oh, yes Pippa. They clearly knew what they were doing. Good for them I say!

Anne

Comment

Working...
                                        X