Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick Guide to Online Research please!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Guide to Online Research please!!!

Can someone please advise a newbie (not me) of the pro's and cons of using the different online ppv sites!! ie findmypast and familyrelatives etc.

I've lost touch with what's on these sites as most of my research is Scotland at the minute and a friend is just starting her English and Welsh research.

Many thanks

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Have you looked in the Wiki? ;)

Online Research: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...nline_Research

Creating Your Family Tree: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ur_Family_Tree
    Sarah

Comment

Thanks Sarah

The wiki is very comprehensive and very helpful about how to go about it but I was looking for a more personal point of view when using them ie which is easier/cheaper etc.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I think it really depends on what sort of information you require.

Family Relatives mainly offers BMD information (England & Wales and Overseas), some military info and Phillimores Marriage Parish Registers

Findmypast mainly offers BMD information (England & Wales and Overseas), census info for 1841, 1861, 1871,1881 and 1891, National Burial Index, City of London Burials, Passenger Lists .... etc.

Don't forget FamilyHistoryonline - another useful pay per view site - parish records, burial info, census info.

You really need to have a look at the databases which are covered by each site and find which would be of most use in your research.

For a newbie starting out, who does not have access to Ancestry, then I would probably suggest Findmypast as this has quite a bit of census information - but be careful when viewing images as you can eat into the pay-per-view credits fairly quickly. If funds are available then a 6 month subscription might be the way to go.

They are all fairly easy to navigate and search.
        Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 28-01-08, 14:19.
        Elaine

Comment

And you can do some ppv - or short-subscription - on Ancestry?

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Also she can probably find a free trial offer of ancestry (14 days or so?), which as far as I know the other sites don't offer.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I've got ancestry for few more weeks so can help until then with census etc. and I have told her about the free trials.

As my friend has limited time to research wondered if the other sites might be cheaper/easier to find the BDM's especially the ones that aren't on freebdm or that you currently have to trawl the quarters for on ancestry.

Comment

Not really - familyrelatives used to be useful because it'd indexed BMDs up to 1920, but I think FreeBMD's pretty much caught up now.

Comment

JBee, now FreeBMD is almost complete for 1837 - about 1920, and as far as I know, Family Relatives' full indexing only goes from 1865 to 1920 so you won't find much on there that isn't on FreeBMD. Trawling through is probably a bit easier on findmypast or Family Relatives than it is on ancestry because there are some pages that are missing or appear to be missing on ancestry - the indexing of first and last names on each page is best on findmypast. But if you are doing a lot of trawling then it may use up a lot of credits.
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Friend is lucky as she has a family bible and with it quite a few certificates already - so hopefully won't need to trawl too much.

Think perhaps Findmypast will be the best ppv site for her to start with - after her free trial with ancestry and in conjunction with freebdm and the lds.

Will print your replies off which will be very useful for her.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Comment

Bear in mind that fmp doesn't have all the censuses.

I used ppv sites when I first started (mainly fmp and the 1901 census site), and it cost a fortune. Getting an Ancestry sub is an investment if she's going to be doing much research.

Don't forget to tell her about Family History Online, which is very cheap, and FreeReg.

FamilyHistoryOnline - searchable databases for family history & genealogy in England, Wales & Australia
                      FreeREG - Search UK Parish Register Indices

Comment

Have printed those off too - thanks Mary

Comment

.. and of course tell her to join Family Tree Forum, not only for help and advice, but also to check out all the useful resources in the wiki!
                          Elaine

Comment

Goes without saying this site is first port of call.

Comment

Working...
                            X