Nearest workhouse to Drury Lane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nearest workhouse to Drury Lane?

I have an ancestor who was widowed in 1846 and possibly ended up in the workhouse. I'd need to find the workhouse records. I've done this before with success for ancestors who were in the Fulham workhouse and there was a fantastic record of their comings and goings so I'm hoping to find the same information here.

She lived in White Horse Yard off Drury Lane and i notice that her husband's death certificate has the area as 'Strand'. Does anybody know which workhouse would have taken her in?
    Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Paul

Have a look at the Workhouse site

www.workhouses.org.uk - The Workhouse Web Site

Click on Workhouse locations and then Poor Law Union Map. You can then click on Strand in the map and it takes you to the workhouse details.

Chris
    Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

could be a tricky on actually as it may depend on which end of Drury Lane they were at.

One end is very near to the Strand but the other comes under Holborn.

Only know this as I received a certificate for someone last Saturday who lived at the Drury Lane end of Long Acre and he died in Holborn Workhouse which is actually up in the north of London at Edmonton.
      Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

I take it back!!!!

Just went to double check what I'd said and he was in Strand Union Workhouse in Edmonton

It was his wife who died in Great Ormond Street (before it was a hospital) and that's Holborn.

Sorry

*gets back under duvet*
        Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Working...
        X