Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FOUND Marianne CHRISTMAS - last seen Godmanchester, Hunts, 1871...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOUND Marianne CHRISTMAS - last seen Godmanchester, Hunts, 1871...

I really shouldn't be chasing this up, but I just can't see what happened to her, and it's bugging me! :(

She was my Gx2-g-father, Eli CHRISTMAS's, 2nd wife - not my ancestor, then. They were married in March 1851 in Farringdon, Hants. Their son, Eli Hector CHRISTMAS, was b Farringdon, 1852 q4 (or 11 Nov 1853, Farringdon "Wiltshire", if you believe his seaman's service record).

By 1861, the family is scattered, with Eli and his 13-yr-old son, Edwin, from the first marriage lodging in Farringdon, while Marianne and 8-year-old Hector are in Hartford, Hunts, where she's a schoolmistress.

Eli carries on living in Hampshire, dying there in 1886; Marianne continues to live as a schoolmistress in Hunts - where she is, still, in 1871.

I've discovered she had a couple of older sisters: Wilhelmina, who remained Miss COCHRANE until her death in 1895, and Harriet who became Mrs PROBATT in 1840, and had two daughters, Emily and Wilhelmina, but was swiftly widowed in 1846. Emily Probatt seems to have lived with her aunt before she married William BUNNING in 1871 - and then vice versa when Wilhelmina senr got older; and Wilhelmina Probatt stayed with her mother, before marrying Richard WESTWOOD in 1874 - and then her mother came to live with the Westwood family as she got older. I found all this because I thought, perhaps, Marianne might have stayed with one or other sister - but no joy, there.

All three née-Cochrane sisters tend to show up in the censuses, because they were born in Calcutta and all schoolmistresses.

I can't find Marianne in 1881 and nor can I find a convincing death or (bigamous) marriage, either.

I suppose she might have emigrated - but that would have been a bold move when she was already well into her 50s. Perhaps there's another sibling whom I haven't spotted she's staying with him/her. In that case she might have got given the sibling's name in the census, I suppose - but surely she'd have died eventually in her own name?

Oddly, both the older sisters are significantly older by the later censuses and the death index than you would have expected from their declared ages in 1841/1851. Even Marianne ages 14 years between 1861 and 1871!

Well... Even if I get no answers/suggestion, at least I've given the puzzle an airing. Like I said at the start - it won't contribute to the ancestral chart, so it doesn't (or shouldn't!) matter to me all that much.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 28-01-08, 18:03.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Eli/hector accounted for in 1881

Name: Eli Christmas
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1854

Farringdon, Hampshire, England

Vessels
    Yorkshire
    England

"H M Cruiser Mermaid"
    Married

who was Eli/hectors wife - maybe she is with her?
    Martha Bowman or charlotte Neeve?< Charlotte- and she isnt with her
    ( strangley enough, eli is in two places in 1881!)
    Last edited by Jessbowbag; 27-01-08, 22:39.
    Jess

Comment

Thanks for trying, Jess.

I was trying not to overload the first posting, but I should have mentioned that I had ruled out that one (so far, anyway). Sorry.

Eli's clever trick for the 1881 census is that he's in the Not-on-board list for the "Mermaid" and he's at home. His wife is Charlotte NEEVE from Norfolk.

He ends up as a Coast Guard on the Lincolnshire coast, where he died in 1903.

He seems to have avoided having his mother to stay - though he does seem to have adopted (informally) one of Charlotte's nieces, Frances Lillie C TOWNLEY.

Christine
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 27-01-08, 22:46.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

For the sake of anyone who looked at this and wondered...

I thought I'd have another look today. I checked back that Eli, her husband, had changed from "married" to "widower" between 1871 and 1881, so I did search in: 1876±5 for:

"Mar*" "Chris*"
        b 1816 ±5

and found the death record:
        d 1880q4 age 68 Huntingdon 3b-173 "Mary Ann R Christmas"

I think I'd been looking for "mari*" to try to cut down the hits - but I'd forgotten that it might be possible to achieve that by using the clue about Eli's status to reduce the date-range in which I was looking. I'd expected her name to be a single one (Marian(ne)), not the compound bits separated - and the R is there for her actual middle name: Richardson.

Now I can leave that bit alone!

Christine

Comment

Working...
        X