Lost Cousins- Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Cousins- Help

Ages ago I put my ancestors on Lost Cousins from the 1881 census.

I hadn't been on the site for ages until yesterday and it seems you can enter details from other census as well now.

BUT HOW?

I may be thick but I can't see where or how to enter more details.

Can someone hold my hand please?

Margaret

when you get to LC site goto your ancestors, and you can add new info there
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Oh I see Julie

It says to use Find my Past. I don't have a sub for them. Can I use the Ancestry transcription instead?

Comment

yes you can, mind you I used LDS for 1881 and ancestry for the 1841 I think
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie

Yes I did 1881 years ago when the site first started. I also used LDS.
          I only went back to the site last night as I got a contact on my Smith line
          Still waiting for the reply

Thank you for your help.

Comment

It does specify a transcription for a reason if I understand correctly. For instance my Sudders are transcribed on Ancestry as Royal where as on find my past they are properly transcribed as Sudder. I think if I entered them on Lost Cousins as Sudder it would not work properly.
            Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Yes, you have to enter exactly as you find them TRANSCRIBED, even if you know the transcription is wrong!

This confuses me a bit though - I always sub a correction to Ancestry, and if someone, at a later date, enters the corrected transcription - it won't match with my entry.

LC has just announced an extension to its database, you can now enter neighbours etc. This smacks a bit of desperation to me!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                LC has just announced an extension to its database, you can now enter neighbours etc. This smacks a bit of desperation to me!
                I've never had the urge to put names on Lost Cousins. I know some people have had bad experiences with GR but it really does offer much more possibilities for real contacts. Having reactivated Hot Matches, I found it much improved and have even made contact with a rellie of Charles Villiers (the real galloping major, not my imposter).
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

UJ

I am glad you find Hot Matches improved - I don't, having just waded through 6 pages of John Jacksons born any time anywhere in the world - except where MY John Jackson was born.

But, to be fair, I don't do well on contacts anywhere at all. Best has been through Tribal Pages, but as always, I have more to give than they have to offer.

I persevere with LC because I think it is such a good idea - the fact that it doesn't work (for me) is by the by. It may do, one day. Which is why I have never turned off my GR hot matches - I might miss the ONE person who really does know something I don't know.

OC

Comment

OC: perhaps I should have said the presentation of Hot Matches is much better, so you can see how well the person's family dovetails with yours. It doesn't stop the mismatches but it could help to reduce the "John Smith 1880" syndrome if people can clearly see the p.o.b. is wrong.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

UJ

But why oh why, when they were tinkering, didn't they put the surname of the putative hot match on the first page????

I could have then whipped smartly down the page deleting all the Bells, Walkers, Jacksons, etc that I have no interest in, without having to unwrap them all individually like some unwanted Xmas gift.

OC

Comment

Working...
                      X