Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Lodger be mistranscribed as Nephew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Lodger be mistranscribed as Nephew?

Joseph S Killings is shown, perfectly clearly, as a Nephew of Henry W Ross and Janet (nee Henderson) in Henry's household in Bootle in 1891.

Yesterday, I spent time at the FRC, seeing what I could find out.

I knew that
    • Josiah Skillings was the son of Edmund Skillings and Louisa (nee Garrad) born in Norfolk
    • Edmund Skillings was the illegitimate son of Hannah Skillings, baptised in Edgefield, Norfolk
    • Edmund was with his family in 1841, but had no siblings
    Yesterday, I found Louisa Garred with an older couple, presumably her parents, in Poringland in 1841. No siblings were shown. So all Joseph/Josiah's roots appear to be in Norfolk.

I looked at Henry W Ross. He was the eldest son of Patrick Ross, almost certainly b 17 Feb 1820 in Forfar, son of John Ross and Christian Grassick.

Patrick married Amelia Oakley of Edmonton. Using the ages from the 1861 census, their children born in London or Deptford were Henry (1845) Edward (1847) Alexander P (1849), Christiana A (1852) Mary Ann (1854) Robert (1856). The IGI for Glasgow shows Frederick (1858) Amelia (1860) and Margaret Kinlock (1861). Patrick certainly moved around: he was in Manchester in 1851 and I cannot find him at home after 1861.

But the family were in London and then Deptford until 1856 and then fixed in Glasgow. Henry married in Scotland and one child was baptised Amelia Oakley Ross. He moved to Bootle at some time between 1877 and 1881.

I have not followed the fortunes of Janet Henderson but have no reason to suppose a complicated background for her.

For the life of me, I cannot see any connection between a Norfolk Dumpling and a Scottish engineer.

Looking at the other people in the household, there are two ladies of independent means who have S as a relationship to the head of household. (There is also an S in the marital status column) And two men whose relationship is husband!

Do you reckon that it is reasonable to assume that there is no relationship between Josiah and Henry and the enumerator has made a poor stab at someone else's handwriting?
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Maybe its a really loose family connection and nephew was the nearest thing to it? With my lot the lodgers are usually the newphews!
    Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

I've had them listed as servant and they were actually a distant cousin.

Comment

Pippa, I've looked at it every which way, but there are less than 10 years between Henry and Josiah. ALL Josiah's roots are in Norfolk. All Henry's are in Scotland or Middlesex. Henry's parents are the same generation as Josiah's.

This is not something I'm likely to find a definitive answer to, since Josiah died single.

I agree that visitors turn out to be grandchildren etc, but this just looks like a boarding house, full of lodgers.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

So he could be related through Henry's wife?
          Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

I would think it pretty likely that there was no relationship and it's just a mistake by the enumerator, especially since the rest of the entry is so sloppy, from what you say.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Phoenix

Having looked at the 1891, I think the enumerator has forgotten to put the single line across, to indicate separate households at the same address.

On the image it appears to be three separate families, and I notice that Ancestry has only transcribed four people as being in the Henry Ross household.

However, that doesn't answer your original question - but I don't think the other people in the household are anything to do with the Ross family.

EDIT - but Joseph IS part of the Ross family set up and is described as nephew.

OC
              Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 28-01-08, 00:49.

Comment

Working...
              X