Slightly baffling Canadian mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slightly baffling Canadian mystery

In 1908 a Charles Russell Hetherington married Marjory Griffin (my home child) in Belleville, Hastings, Ontario. I have their marriage record. He gives his age as 21. Making him born c1888.

In 1901 - Norwood Village, Peterborough

Charles Hetherington, 40
    Louisa, wife, 40
    May, 17
    Flora, 13
    Russell, 9 (is this Charles Russell?)
    Bessie, 5

In 1909 a daughter was born to Charles and Marjory. I have her birth record. Name was registered as Madeline Hetherington but there is a note on the record saying it was amended in the 1960s to say Murial Hetherington, presumbly when she claimed her pension. (There is a possibility her grandparents changed her first name)

In 1911 baby Murial is residing with her grandparents in Thurlow. Parents are nowhere to be found. Marjory appeared in 1920 in Detroit, Michigan living as a lodger with a young son Chester.

In 1915 a Russell Charles Hetherington married a Frances Hartman in Kingston, Ontario. His age is given as 26. Making him born c1889.

I can find no birth record for either a Russell Charles Hetherington or a Charles Russell Hetherington. I doubt a couple would give two sons such similar names. I can find the births of all his sisters though.

I can find neither Marjory nor Charles in 1911 Canada Census or 1910 USA Census, nor can I locate them in the USA Immigration databases.

I cannot find a death for Charles either so I strongly suspect he committed bigamy.

But where is he in 1911?? Could they be seperate people?

I have searched on all the databases that I can find online and am completely baffled.

When I was in Canada I even visited the main cemeteries in Norwood, Foxboro and Belleville and checked their records in the Cemetery Offices with zilch results.

George
    Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

HI George

The Marjorie that appears with a young son in the 1920 US Census was shown as bieng born in 1900 New York so she would be too young to be Marjorie that had married in 1908 to your Mr Hetherington.
    WendyP

Comment

I know, she had tendency to lie about her background and alter her age to make herself seem younger. We are pretty sure that is her. It fits with what her Grandson has told us about her.

Which is what makes her hard to pin down in the records.

We can't make out if her status in 1920 is WD or D.

George
      Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

Comment

Working...
      X