Lost Thomas James Fletcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Thomas James Fletcher

I can't find him after 1900 & would like to know what happened to him.

Thomas James Fletcher was born 30/11/1874 in Woolwich to Thomas Fletcher & Frances Percy. They go off to India & next appear on the 1891 census living at Basuto Road, Fulham.

In June 1896 an application is made for one of his brothers to be admitted to the Duke of York's Royal Military School. Thomas, aged 21, is listed with all his siblings but gets a special mention from the curate of St Dionis, Fulham who confirming the father's circumstances adds "The eldest son (Thomas) was afflicted with a stroke whilst in India at the age of 7, and his state of health is such that he cannot undertake responsible work. He has tried several occupations but has (been?) discharged from eccentricity & mental weakness. He is now supported by his parents."

On 11/10/1900, an application is made to the same school for another brother. Again Thomas, aged 25, is listed with all the other children & living at 14 Ashcombe Street, Fulham.

On the 1901 census, the family is still at Ashcombe St, Fulham but without Thomas. From the curate's observations in 1896, I don't imagine he married & I have not been able to find a death for him. I did think he may be in an institution/hospital but can't find him anywhere on the 1901 census.

Your thoughts on what else I could try would be appreciated. Thank you. Geraldine

Geraldine

1901 census often listed people in institutions with just their initials. They are also often vague about birthplace so it may be difficult to work out if any entries are your chap.

I''ll have a look though.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Right, I did a search for male T Fs and once I eliminated ones with wrong birthplace or age there was no one left!

So either Thomas wasn't in England in 1901 or he was misrecorded/transcribed in some way.

Comment

A possible
        RG13; Piece: 635; Folio: 158; Page: 40.
        T Fletcher born 1875
        London County Lunatic Asylum, Coulsdon, Surrey - with over 2500 inmates/patients
        Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 27-01-08, 10:47.
        Elaine

Comment

You were too quick for me again, Elaine! LOL! Still enjoyed the practice!

Comment

There is a T Fletcher single male aged 26 of no occupation no birthplace given listed as "lunatic" at the District County Lunatic Asylum in Coulsdon, Surrey.

Ref: RG13; Piece: 635; Folio: 158; Page: 40

The enumeration district description gives this as :

London County Lunatic Asylum, pauper lunatic asylum, in Cane Hill, Coulsdon, Surrey.

Cane Hill was still a lunatic asylum when I went to school in Coulsdon but I think it has been closed down now.

Comment

I see Elaine got there first!

The archives including patient records for Cane Hill are at Croydon Archives:

The National Archives | Search the archives | Hospital Records| Details

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                Cane Hill was still a lunatic asylum when I went to school in Coulsdon but I think it has been closed down now.
                It has, Nell & has been virtually destroyed by vandals! Very sad.
                There are some good pics on a site if you google Cane Hill. My Da's step-dad died there, too.

Comment

I remember vaguely that I went from our school to a lunatic asylum one year to sing Christmas Carols to the residents. It was either Cane Hill or Netherne. My childhood home was surrounded by these places, most of which have now gone (don't know where all the inmates went). I found them rather scary.

Comment

Just chatting to OH about it - he lived in Coulsdon when he was little (a long while ago!) and remembers Cane Hill as well.
                    Elaine

Comment

Small world, Elaine, but glad I don't have to paint it.

I think Vivienne Leigh (of "Gone with the Wind"fame) was in Netherne at one time.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                        I see Elaine got there first!

The archives including patient records for Cane Hill are at Croydon Archives:

The National Archives | Search the archives | Hospital Records| Details
                        Thank you all so much:p. So would I be able look at or get copies of patient records or are they kept private? I think I need to contact Croydon Archives now.

If this is my chap, it is sad that he is no longer with his family. I like to think they were a close family. Apart from the 2 boys who joined the army, the children were all still unmarried & living with their father in 1901. Perhaps his step-mother couldn't cope with his needs with her two young chldren.

Thank you again. I am always in awe of & so grateful for the help & advice that is given so freely - Geraldine

Comment

Contact the archives and see what they say. Different places seem to have different policies but since this chap is undoubtedly dead it shouldn't be impossible.

Comment

Just fired an e-mail off to them!

Comment

Working...
                            X