Leytonstone? Can someone help please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leytonstone? Can someone help please?

My fathers birth record says London and on reading his and mum's marriage certificate I see place of birth as Leytonstone can anyone tell me where that is please?

MACPANDA'S FAMILY **Please click in**

East London, Panda.

Are you hotter than usual this arvo, or is it just me??

Comment

Your asking me ... pmsl

It is warm mate but I don't feel hot. But hey I am doing nothing more physical than hit the keyboard...pmslroflmao

Your packing aren't you ... well the humidity would get you then.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
        East London, Panda.

Are you hotter than usual this arvo, or is it just me??
        ooooopppppsss

Forgot to thank you for that info

So either is right the marriage cert just narrows it down a bit more.

Must go google and see if I can find some piccies of east London in 1917 came up empty with Leytonstone. Thank you Libby

Comment

A map for you ...

LLHS Map

If you zoom out on the map you will get a better idea of where it is in relation to London.
          Elaine

Comment

You can find Leytonstone on google maps and streetmap.co.uk

It was originally in Essex and is now in the London Borough of Waltham Forest, which also includes nearby Leyton.

Welcome to Waltham Forest Council
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Leytonstone is definitely London .. loads of my rellies are buried in the cemetry there hence why I looked on thread case you were asking about that lol x

Comment

I grew up quite close to Leytonstone and have an old A-Z of London, if your father was born after the war, I might be able to locate the street for you. There was a quite lot of bomb damage in the area, so some streets disappeared.
                Mavis
                Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

Originally posted by Mavis by the Moor View Post
                  I grew up quite close to Leytonstone and have an old A-Z of London, if your father was born after the war, I might be able to locate the street for you. There was a quite lot of bomb damage in the area, so some streets disappeared.
                  Actually I entered marriage cert when I should have said death cert but even so Mum didn't give them that info so the people who did the funeral arrangements must have delved into his birth but the record I have is just London but Mavis he was born 12th March 1917.

Thank you all for your help sorry it has been longwinded of me getting back but I was away then had a small accident which has kept me of my puter for a week now. My son's girlfriend is working over in East London for 3 months and then going sightseeing for a month before she comes home. So I will get her to go take some piccies for me. Thanks Mavis for the offer but I don't have an address it was between census years and they moved a bit before emigrating out here. Think I will get her off to Kew while she is over there as well...:D Dont think she had this in mind under the heading of sightseeing. My son told me to leave her alone but he is the one losing weight fretting for her not me so he wants her happy and home..:D I don't think I will be able to contain myself though ;)

Comment

Actually funny you should say that Mavis - my father couldn't handle thunder and lightening and his mother my grandmother told me there was an airraid the night he was born. I have never checked dates and this lady has proved time and again to tell us grandkids porkiepies about family connections over in the mother country, like that we are related to Sir Winston Churchill but I can't find the link myself. If it is there it is a long way back. .. lol.

Comment

Leyton and Leytonstone were in Essex until 1965 when they became part of London. You can read about their history on the VCH.
                      Leyton - Introduction | British History Online
                      Phil
                      historyhouse.co.uk
                      Essex - family and local history.

Comment

There are some pictures of Leytonstone on this site

Old Street Scenes

Scroll down the page, its in alphabetical order
                        Vikki -
                        Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Originally posted by Lozaras
                          Morning Dierdre !

I have a family from Leytonstone - 1870 + at that time it was the West Ham registration district.

hth

Loz Dad is the only one born there. The Batemans were originally from St George Bristol area but my grandparents seemed to move around they had 5 boys and I think only 2 were born in the same place. No idea why they moved work related I supposed. I can't go on what grandma told me cause a lot of it has been disproved or not able to prove since I have started FH.

Comment

Originally posted by keldon View Post
                            Leyton and Leytonstone were in Essex until 1965 when they became part of London. You can read about their history on the VCH.
                            Leyton - Introduction | British History Online
                            Originally posted by vikki brace View Post
                            There are some pictures of Leytonstone on this site

Old Street Scenes

Scroll down the page, its in alphabetical order
                            Thank you so much guys. I love the photos Vikki and I have bookmarked your history website Keldon thanks I will read that through tomorrow at my leasure.

Comment

Just a little more info for you, Leytonstone is very near to the new "olympic village" that is being built in East London for 2012. Was there the other day, it looks a right state! only 4 years to finish it!
                              Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

Hi Sue sorry I missed your post mate. It is amazing how utter chaos turns into something magnificent at the last moment .. see it happen all the time over here. SE Queensland has the Gateway which is the main highway from Gold Coast to the Northside of Brisbane where it joins up with the Bruce Highway which takes you to Cairns in the Northern tip of Queensland. When they were building that it looked like piles of dirt that had no relation to each other then just towards the end wham bam alikazam it all joined up perfectly. Same thing in Brisbane for Expo back in the 80s. So don't stress it mate they will make it and all will come together in the last couple of months you wait and see...lol

Comment

Was not Sir Winston Churchill MP for Leytonstone? I think there is a statue their.

Comment

Was there James wow maybe there is a connection with my Churchills then. Haven't been able to find it or anything about him that has popped up in the same area as them before. We had decided that our Grandmother was rhapsodizing to us kids when she said we were related to him....lol

Comment

MPs aren't always connected with their constituencies.

Winston Churchill was MP for
                                      Oldham
                                      Manchester North West
                                      Dundee
                                      Epping

He also unsuccessfully contested Leicester and Westminster.
                                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                                        MPs aren't always connected with their constituencies.

Winston Churchill was MP for
                                        Oldham
                                        Manchester North West
                                        Dundee
                                        Epping

He also unsuccessfully contested Leicester and Westminster.
                                        Thanks Little Nell

Shot down in flames again :D

I have a cousin who unfortunately is now in a decline with dementure and she has been doing FH for years many of them not sure just how long but way before computer online help and she said she found a link pointing in his direction...I can't find it and unfortunately she can't help me that way any more. So sad cause I cant get to her to see what she has and she can't communicate to let me know so I keep digging myself and maybe like a lot of this stuff I will fall over it one day...lol

Comment

Working...
                                        X