Young children stay/visit Military Hospital Prison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young children stay/visit Military Hospital Prison

On the 1891 census for Alexander Williamson, he is listed with his family including Annie 4 years and Alexander 7 years. Also two unknown, to me, people Peter and Ellen Henderson. Both Alexander and Peter are in the army (Troopers). They are ALL listed as being in The Cavalry Barracks Hospitals Military Prison on the date the census was taken.

I have not found out why they were all in there. In later years they are both civilians. Can anyone suggest why the whole family would be there?

many thanks

Sheila
    Searching For Pillar, Nichol, Soppitt, Cryle, Wilson, Dixon, Selby.

Was he on the staff?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine, thanks, I don't know. it says he is a Trooper and that is all. I tried to find out more about his service record but so far nothing. I will have to check this out a bit more.
      there are a lot more people listed on the copy of the actual census, as opposed to the cover sheet, who are listed as soldier, scholar, Troop Corporal Major and Barrack labourer (domestic servant)
      So it looks as if they could all be living there - but would it really be in the Military prison?

Sheila

Comment

Well it would probably be in living quarters I imagine.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

If they were inmates, they would be listed as such, I think.

OC

Comment

Thank you, I did try to put a quick message on to Little Nell but somehow it has vanished.
            I thought that they would have other accommodaton for families which did not have the prison as being their address. Would not look good on the old CV!

Comment

I would imagine that staff would live on the premises, certainly within the prison walls, though don't take this a gospel.

I think you'd be able to make it clear that you weren't an inmate!

My poor gt gt grandparents' address was "Vestry Cottage, the Old Burying Ground, Richmond, Surrey.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

And of course, you can only be SURE they were there for one night.

A similar thing with prisons - warders and their families there on census night. Probably lived on the premises.

OC

Comment

If you look at the previous pages there is a whole community based around the Royal Horse Guards based there. There are even Infant school teachers but the one I spotted specially was Charles Ashley - Rough riding Corporal Major

What the description of the District actually says is "The Cavalry Barracks, Hospitals, Military Prison etc". Its a list rather than a sentence!

Anne

Comment

thanks everyone for replying. My auntie will be disappointed she and her mother in law - (the 4 year old Annie) hated each other and my auntie would have been pleased to know her MIL was in prison at the age of four - "a bad lot right from the start!"

Comment

Working...
                    X